Hi from Brisbane all so some Q's

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by justpaul, Sep 1, 2012.

1. justpaul

justpaul Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Hey name's Paul
    At the moment I work for Coles Supermarket storemen/nightfill. I want to leave and I think truck driving would suit me. I'm so over dealing with the daily bull sh##t that I put up with. I know from talking to a few of the Toll drivers that it's not a easy job.

Question time

1) Is there a driving school you recommend

2) Is it pointless to get a MR licence

3) How do I get trucking experience when I have never had a trucking job be for

Thank You for taking the time to read this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island

Well, speaking from THIS side of the Commonwealth (Can), most new, in-experienced drivers that are fresh from drivers school usually apply for low paying, crappy local trucking jobs that barely pay the bills. Put in your time and consider yourself lucky to get on anywhere to get experience. Once you have a few years on different peices of equipment, and a clean record, then you can start to write your own ticket.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    yes there is light at the end of the tunnel, how i did it, unless you know someone in the trucking industry try getting work through a labour hire place like labourforce or workpac helps once you get a years experience you can pretty much canvas any transport company unless your happy working for the temp agencies. i'm not sure how the rules are now i think you have to get an MR first you may have to wait a year then skip hr and go straight to HC.

5. Wiked

Wiked Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Hi,

From a car licence you can go to a HR and then wait 12 months and straight to an MC. Or as aussiejosh said MR then HC.
    MAJOR Training at Yatala or Caboolture can teach you.

Places like Driver recruitment etc might be a good place to start when you have your MR or HR. Good luck!

6. AUSSIE DAVE

AUSSIE DAVE Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    OZ - Brisbane
    Go hr then mc and have to agree with all the above , but major have a good wrap so that should help u get ya foot in the door to a transport company / recruitment mob like driver recruitment.

7. mrrolly

mrrolly Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    HR to MC is a much easier transition - specially when it comes to reversing. A few of us went to DECA in Melbourne for a HC>MC upgrade many years ago, and found our "old habits" needed a slap on the wrist when it came to backing up. And our instructor mentioned the guys going from HR > MC were already adjusted to "turn left, go left", as to us HC guys that were so used to "turn right, go left" when trying that reversing part of the course.

Also, I know DECA had a recruitment arm for getting jobs - not sure how many places do that, but I know they did.
    They got me into wharf/container work with about a years casual HC experience under my belt

Good luck in your ventures :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.