High health insurance cost

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Jun 19, 2018.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I stay where I'm at for the company benifits. The health, dental, and vision insurance benifits are over 16000.00 per year. I'm married and have one child still at home. We have experienced some health issues over the last ten years as a family. The security of the job and benifits outways everything else. Also pays well.

Jazz1 and TruckRunner Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I will disappoint you and say dry van. I've been doing reefer for the past seven years and it's not worth the extra money to me. The few times I get a dry load it's so easy that it feels like I'm not working. This past weekend I had an ice cream load that had to run continuously on -20 and delivered four days away and it used a full tank of fuel per day. So I had to sit and fuel it up every day. I'll gladly take a pay cut for dry van. I live on 30 percent of my income the rest I stick in savings and investments I am not a big spender.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  4. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
  5. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    That's about right for health insurance (for a decent plan). I'd stay with that company and purchase some disability insurance. (not the crap the company gives either). Long term disability....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.