High Rail or Low Rail? What's your preference? And Why?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by SQ609, Sep 29, 2014.

1. AlexCarHauler

AlexCarHauler Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Just did off mirror yesterday.my bad, forgot folded after was open by wind.####, a thousand baks just for one f150 mirror.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    I was a company man for four years pulling a high rail and i owned 2.
    I would never go back to them it just a pain in my eyes unless you are going to haul only small units.
    Ive always liked Cottrell headracks and Trailers myself I like the design,the look and the way they load.

Pros: would be High Rail you can stack longer units then you can with a low rail
    You can unload some spots if you misload
    Cons :Besides just being a pain in the ### lol
    You cant haul but 1 dully sometimes at the rail you will need to load more then that
    You haul some of the big trucks and get over just a little to far and the mirror tends to fall off
    Depending on the Model you cant get out of certain spots when loading

Low Rail:
    Pros: Quicker to Load and Unload for me anyway
    Can get out of any spot
    Faster Setup
    I can get most loads on this one that you will get on a high rail

In the end everyone has there preferences I prefer low rails after using High rails for while

SQ609 Thanks this.
  4. SQ609

SQ609 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Trenton, NJ
    Thanks for the info Thumper. Could you elaborate a little more on why you say that high rails are a pain in the #####? And what do you mean when you say that you can't get out of certain spots when loading with a high rail versus a low rail?

Thanks.

5. Thumper

Thumper Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2008
    They take longer to setup because they have alot more moving parts and as they age they tend to not work so well.
    If you load bigger units you have to be right on the spot are you will break off a mirror are scratch a fender on some of the 4x4s with flares and running boards.

Far as not getting out of different spots it depends on the model of the trailer the ones i used there was 2-3 spots you cant open the doors on trucks unless you where anorexic
    You have to crawl out a window then move the deck then get in and roll the window up .

SQ609 Thanks this.
  6. SQ609

SQ609 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Trenton, NJ
    Oh OK. I see what you mean now. That makes sense. Its a lot to consider when choosing these trailers.

7. Luke Foster NC

Luke Foster NC Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2014
    x2 what Hammer said. Learning low rails are easier BUT, if your loading big stuff like pickups or 2500s those low rails sure are nice. :)

High rail is the only way to go for POV's or if you want to haul 10 or even 11 if their smaller cars but for 9 car loads, Low rail has my vote.
    New cars out of Brunswick company going all to low rail any more. Lot less damage with a low rail to.

SQ609 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.