High Wind Driving

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by godavid, Oct 16, 2011.

1. godavid

godavid Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2011
    GTA
    Hi guys, I'm a new driver. I drove a 53' truck trailer at Hwy17 arround wawa ON. last night. The wind was strong at the time. my load was light, about 7k lbs. Suddenly, the truck was pushed by the wind all the way going to the left side ditch. Truck was turning over, at last second I got the weel controled and forced to turn back to my lane. It was so scary. Thanks god there was no traffic on another side at the time. I need couple of days staying at hm to get this horrible piece out of my mind. Could anybody gives me some tips how to drive semi trailer in high wind? Thanks

GSWx Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

Slow down. When you are light and the wind is that bad wait it out. Expect sudden slams of wind as you come out from overpasses. Also when your passing a tree line and it ends you'll get hit with that first blast of wind pretty hard. Wind coming off open fields is usually the worst.

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Stay alert, relaxed and keep your hands on the wheel.

Went through that area yesterday with about the same weight. There were some really strong winds but nothing that should have caused that to happen.

godavid and GSWx Thank this.
  5. Mr Bee

Mr Bee Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Midland Ontario
    This is the worst time of year for high winds along the east shore of Lake Superior. It was gale force winds that sank the lake freighter, the Edmond Fitzgerald. There is a line in the song about the lake freighter, referring to the gale force winds of November.
    It's not quite November yet, but it's getting closer.

godavid Thanks this.
  6. Old Tom

Old Tom Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2010
    SW Ontario
    Strong winds WILL flip over a light loaded tractor/trailer. I pull a flatbed with a roll-tight tarp system, and those are worse than vans. Yesterday I hit those strong winds going southbound on I75 through Ohio, and it was moving me around pretty good and I had 45,000lbs on the deck.

Earlier this year we had a similar strong wind and after I emptied in Welland I parked it at the FJ on the QEW. I'll second the advice you were already given, .....park it.

Big Don and godavid Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    WHAT THESE TWO SAID! It is even more fun when the high wind is accompanied by black ice.

SLOW DOWN and learn when to park it. Along the line of what old Tom said, I saw a hay truck combo where the empty flat bed pup was just picked up by the wind and layed down on it's top in the opposite lane. The truck itself stayed upright. But this was "wind shear" at its finest!

godavid Thanks this.
  8. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Last winter taking an MT to pt Hawksbury as I was crossing the small causway and bridge after Havre Boucher I got blasted from the right side by winds coming off the ice rear bumper of the trailer ended up almost clipping the guardrail and the tractor was on the wrong side of the road fun part was when frozen bridge ended and traction came back.. I had it almost in line but it still tried to flip over. Was definetly a "puckering" event....

godavid Thanks this.
  9. andy

andy Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    MT
    I heard some "cowboy" advice about this. i had some high-wind driving today and was telling my boss about my white knuckle ride. He said to ride it out. He said don't slam on the brakes but try to speed up or slow down to get by another semi and have them block the wind for you (this is when your wheels are already up in the air). He said if you hit the brakes that it will like just continue the roll because some how (which I didn't understand) the wind will catch up under it more if your slowing down. He told me on a few occasions he just "rode it out". Also, what I'm talking about is a pup on the back of a rocky set if that makes a difference to you guys and your opinions. Any thoughts? I think it's crtazy! My natural instinct is to hit the brakes or at least the trailer brakes.

10. claydcousta

claydcousta Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Folsom
    Slow down. If the wind is high enough to be a problem, slowing will help maintain tire contact with the road. If you are in a high profile vehicle or pulling a trailer, best to stop.

11. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    I always go slower whenever I am hauling empties, especially when I haul wiggle wagon all the time...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.