High winds in southern NM...

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by The Railsplitter, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Everyone was rockin like Don Dokken. We're 78K pounds and were fully ROCKIN lol.

I moved 90 degrees to take some of it out and nosed in next to someone, and he was ROCKIN.

I thought well if he gets blown over onto us so be it. Two loaded trucks together have more resistance than one.

I went and talked to guys whilst they were fueling, and everyone said it was still drivable, just slower.

Glad we had to wait for our 10 lol.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    I copy that... one trip, I had to jump off and spend some time at the Armadillo Petro when wind gusts of 70 m.p.h. hit the Panhandle. I was deadheading from Western PA back to San Diego---we did that in those days since the owners didn't care, later I suggested that the private carrier get the authority to backhaul loads and offset costs---anyway, that goldurned 53' wagon might as well have been a sail, and a violent gust blew my rig into the next lane. Fortunately, I was "riding the gap" as I normally try to do, so no other vehicle was alongside... would've been a wreck for sure had there been anyone in the hammer lane. It kinda spooked me to the point that I jumped off in Amarillo to let the winds die down... that's one thing newer drivers need to understand, that weather will eventually pass or change for the better, and a driver can try to make up lost time later. Well, maybe not so much with all the tracking devices nowadays, but I always reckoned that no load was worth my life, or the lives of others on the road. If things get that bad, a driver SHOULD shut down and catch some sleep, aye? o_O

RidgeRunner731 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Cuzzin It, you reminded me of another incident, this time in Chi-Town during the wee hours... a wreck had shut down the interstate west of Gary, IN, and once the bears had a handle on it, they started letting groups of trucks through in staggered starts, right? Well, long story short, a bunch of us wound up FLYIN' through the heart of Chicago on I-90/94 at 0300 hours, just mashin' on it and haulin' ### through that burg, lol. Like one hand said over the CB: "THEY CAN'T STOP ALL OF US!!!" It was like a scene from 'CONVOY', lol. Made it through no problem, then the group broke up as faster trucks made their way ahead... just one more cool memory of my 'trucking daze', when it seemed like there was more freedom on the road. Sometimes, I miss those days, lol... a sad reflection upon my current social life, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :confused:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Well, that ol' wind has kicked up again something fierce... the entire Tularosa Basin is filled with windblown dust, and the trees on my property are swayin' with the gusts. You drivers in southern NM, or heading toward southern NM, know that it is windy as heck down here... but it's a warm south wind this time, not freezing cold like recent winds have been, so that's a plus. Anyway, just a "heads up" for those working behind the wheel in this area. :eek:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Still windy here, the state issued an alert via phone regarding visibility in the dust storm. Probably best not to drive through this area until it settles down, the sky which was blue earlier is now totally obscured by clouds of dust. o_O

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Calm so far this morning... hopefully those winds blew themselves out, as I'm thinking of going riding today. I'll have to check the NOAA forecast, I don't wanna ride up into the mountains to find 60-75 m.p.h. gusts howling down those canyons... not good with all those sharp curves & twisties. :eek:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Here we go again... high wind advisory is in effect through Thursday night. We have a 20% chance of rain or snow this evening, increasing to 50% tomorrow morning... just throwing this out there in case it helps some driver to make a better decision. Cheers! :rolleyes:

P.S. I'll be glad when spring arrives for real, lol... ;)

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  9. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Isn't high winds the norm for spring.???
    It is in Socorro county

The Railsplitter and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Sometimes I take US 54 down and go through White Sands.

Usually at least in pre-howl.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  11. The Railsplitter

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Not quite spring yet here in Otero County... White Sands access is off US-70, but you can see it from US-54. :cool:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.