Highway 212 in SD/WY/MT....use it or skip it???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by startsmonday, Nov 2, 2013.

1. startsmonday

startsmonday Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Thanks for the replies. 212 it shall be......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    local in Broadus does not have a sense of humor, neither does the scale if it's open. Watch out for deer, elk and other critters after dark

4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Just went across it today, the road work is all done, they were just finishing some grade work in the ditches this morning.

5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    FYI theres a little restaurant just west of the chicken house which is a good stop for a decent meal.. they only take cash but its a good little meal... truck parking right across...

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Ooops if your heading west its just east of DOT scale... cheers

7. Garrykhangura92

Garrykhangura92 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Is it a better route during winter compared to the interstate?

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    90. You have that Continental Divide in your face in Montana. I-90 is not so tough in good weather.

Never mind the miles, you will burn that same fuel fighting Mr Hill off on another road.

9. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Depends on the weather. They don't do a very good job of scraping the roads on the reservation part of the Highway but otherwise it is fine.

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The Continental Divide is halfway across Montana from 212. I-90 isn’t exactly flat across WY and 212 cuts off about 75 miles or so. You only have the scale in Broadus to cross before you get back on the interstate. If you stay on 90 you have to cross Sundance and Sheridan, and Sheridan has an inspection barn. 212 is way less hassle in the long run.

DougA, LoneCowboy, Gatordude and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Very true. I used to run 212 a lot and got to know the Broadus scale very well. Generally it is only open during the day but opens around 5:30am and closes about 6pm. If you see a white Subaru then Nancy is the scale master and she is very strict. Make sure you have your T's crossed and your I's dotted. If you see a White SUV then Tiffany is the scale master. She won't do anything so no worries. Also there is a spot just before Ashland (I think that was the name) where Montana DOT likes to do inspections. Basically a mobile weigh station. If someone else is in it already being inspected then keep moving.

x1Heavy and Long FLD Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.