Highway Transport, I drive for them and can answer questions.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Coolbreeze, Jan 19, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but it was the only one that I could find specifically on Highway Transport. I've been running otr chem tanker w/ my current company since January so I'm about to cross one year of experience and I'm looking to make a move hopefully to something more regional w/ better home time. I live in Houston, TX so I'm looking at the recent postings at the LaPorte terminal for regional though I wouldn't mind running system to start off and move to regional later. Just curious what things are like at the LaPorte terminal in terms of hiring and how much they keep you running?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WIlee81

WIlee81 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2019
    SE Louisiana
    If you decide to give them a shot go ahead and apply. I applied for the St Gabriel terminal back in April and they actually emailed me in August asking if I was still interested even tho I have as much experience as you. If they need drivers something tells me they'll make an exception.

MYSTYKRACER Thanks this.
  4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Are they still owned by Watkins?

5. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I talked briefly to one of their drivers at a PFJ in Louisiana and he said some of their Louisiana terminals got wiped out in the recent hurricanes so a lot of their drivers had been working out of the LaPorte terminal. He said that things were getting back to normal but the region was still pretty busy. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the demand is looking like at the LaPorte terminal going into next year? I'm definitely thinking I'll apply though.

6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    If your looking for regional in H-town try one of these companies. The pay will be alot better.

Nalco (sugarland terminal)

Matheson (Roll & Rest) if they say they only have local tell them no!!!

Airgas (Roll & Rest) same as above-mentioned

7. frmtxsu

frmtxsu Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Houston, TX
    If highway ( hytt) would quit stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel ( junk mack trucks ) ( 65mph limited to save on fuel ) a reverse per diem on pay. Expensive benefits, crappy terminal facilities And actually pay drivers a fair rate, for all they expect, lots of rules, requirements, classes, computer work, plant requirements, ppe, heat exchanger, Then the way they dispatch alot of wasted time. It's why there is alot of turn over in office personnel and drivers. Drivers get the experience and roll out for better pay and less work. hytt is way behind on pay. especially alot of their customers are pain in the ###

BlueThunderr and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. Lilj

Lilj Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I like Mack trucks, currently drive one for heniff/superior. Been driving a mack since 2015, good solid truck hands down

trkrjim Thanks this.
  9. bigfrank1967

bigfrank1967 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    pottstown,pa

10. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Main reason why I left them~offer one salary but once all the smoke clears something totally different~when their add describes up to xxxx amount you can best believe it’s not going to be up to the amount you expected. They used to have the guaranteed pay per week that didn’t last long before they took that away, was very hard to make a decent check.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.