Hill Brothers Transportation Good or Bad!!!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by bigmike8777, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I answered some questions on a related thread over on the motor carrier questions board a few days ago:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...9520-anyone-know-about-hillbros-trucking.html

Good luck,

Jim

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jabbrandon

jabbrandon Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2010
    kansas city mo
    as i read over this thread you seem pretty content. do you still feel the same? i am looking at a few companies now never really thought about hb but came across this post and it caught my interest. i live in the kansas city area so i kinda get the jist of the hometime. been driving a little over 18 yrs now. thought i had it made then due to downsizing lost my yellow freight job last fall. went back on the road with a small company here in town but don't like the money. i know the yellow freight money isn't out there to be had anymore however i am just curious about the kinda income you are making. no specifics just round abouts. do the 387's have apu's and fridges also or just the volvo's. can a person come on as a lease operator or do they have to start as a company driver? this is all really new to me. even though i have been driving a few years i have only had 4 jobs and they have all been as a company driver. as i said before i have read your whole thread but any new info or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks

4. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    This week is the last week of my second year leasing on with HB. So far the dispatching and miles have been consistent, and I publish a spreadsheet online (via Google Docs) with all of my settlement information down to the penny so you can see for yourself. Google "OTRjournal" and you will find links to my old blog which will lead you to the new site if you are interested in actual numbers.

With your experience and location you would be a shoo-in for recruiting. We have a small yard a few miles from the J on the east side.

I'm really not sure about the Petes, I haven't been in one. I would assume they had APUs. There aren't a lot of them around in the fleet any more, however. There are a lot of Volvos, some KW T600s and my understanding is they are taking delivery on 30 or so new Prostars in the near future. Abbie or Erin in recruiting would be able to give you the official line there.

One thing I do like about HB is that you can't come on as a L/P driver, you need 60 days as a company driver first. That will give you time to see if they are your cup of tea and vice versa. The leases aren't pushed at all -- only about 1/5 or 1/6 of the fleet is L/P -- and you really have to want to go that way and jump through some modest hoops (putting down a deposit, for instance) to show you're serious about it.

Good luck and let me know if the settlement numbers I provide are clear enough.

Jim

5. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey BJV, did you mean June 2nd class? Say hi to Van who is also a new recruit for me!

Jim

6. Bjv1981

Bjv1981 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    JR, Orientation started on the 1st and wrapped everything up on saturday morning. Van and I both picked up in council bluffs for Tupelo MS. We have to deliver sunday night.
    For anyone intrested, HB so far seems to be good. Orientation seemed like it lasted forever, but they do a pretty good job of breakink up the monotany. I will post how things are going here from time to time. I am in truck 2336, if you see me on the road say hello! Have a good one!
    BJ

7. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey, good news! These were meat loads over in Council Bluffs, right?

Jim

8. Bjv1981

Bjv1981 Bobtail Member

May 9, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    Those were meat loads in Council Bluffs. I was a little nervous being that I am brand new to reefer work, but all went well. At my last job we had the same qualcomm, and HOS system that we have here so it was no problem with that. Now its off to Columbus Ohio for Wedesday morning, then a trip to Thermoking to get the APU looked at. Have a safe
    trip out there!
    BJ

9. Vtwinhouse

Vtwinhouse Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey JR,

Viewed your blog! I am in Kansas City too! Looks like you are doing pretty good considering the economy and all. Tell me, on your financials, the "net" you speak of is BEFORE taxes right? DO you figure another 8% off that for net-net after taxes?

Just curious. I have 2 years exp. Looking at doing the company driver thing for a short while, maybe 6-12 months, then going L/O or O/O.

Thanks for the input! Love your new blog site!

David

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  10. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Actually, I live in Springfield, MO but some of the others on this thread live in and around KC. HB happens to have a drop yard there as well, a mile or so away from the Flying J on the east side.

The Net column on my spreadsheet is the actual dollar amount deposited to my checking account each week, so it does not include taxes, health care, DQ Blizzards or the like. You are certainly welcome to plug those numbers into your own situation (married/single, number of kids, etc.) to come up with a realistic set of numbers that would apply to you.

HB is a rarity in trucking companies in that you can't come on as a L/O off the street -- you have to work as a company driver for at lest 60 days and get the sign off by ops that you can do the work. Of course, this gives you the driver at least two months to determine if any lease deal is of interest to you and there is zero pressure to change from company to lease or to go out and buy your own truck and work as an o/o (which some drivers do).

Good luck,

Jim

11. Vtwinhouse

Vtwinhouse Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Jim!

I think the 60 days as a C/D is wise. I would like to "date" first before I get married!

:) I used to drive for a local outfit in KC. Used to see the HB trucks all the time at Smurfit Stone where I hauled most my loads from. Paper rolls, corrugated box, etc. I would go back to them, but they are not currently hiring! SO looking at OTR, then maybe L/O or O/O if I can save enough. I like the longer runs, and was really looking for a co that runs to CA or AZ a lot. Figured Reefer would be a good bet with all the seasonal produce coming out of there! I was CA born and raised, so know the area well. Moved to KC 5 years ago.

Thanks for the response Jim,

Really appreciate it!

David

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.