Hired 4 times and quit 4 times...they won't talk to me now!

Discussion in 'Swift' started by VA CDL Holder, Dec 25, 2015.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    For the past 3 years I've been hired, quit and rehired with Swift a total of 4 times. I only drive about 3 or 4 months at a time and then quit for 4 or 5 months, as I live overseas when I'm not driving. I have driven dry vans the first 2 times and flatbed the last 2 times, so I have the experience on my side.

I am planning on a February comeback and now the recruiter I have dealt with in the past will not even answer my emails. I even went so far as to ask her if I was "rehireable", as they probably check that immediately before they do anything else if you were a former driver.

I tried emailing my former flatbed DM in Phoenix and as soon as I send it, it gets returned within a few seconds, which indicates I'm blocked by him or he doesn't work there anymore.

The circumstances I quit under last time were less than desirable from the company point of view. I was under load on a Saturday, but the load did not deliver until Monday morning. I drove the unit to a terminal, delivery point was only 30 miles away, and unloaded my stuff, walked in and turned in the keys, called Uber up and went to the airport and caught a flight back overseas.

I'm thinking that they probably hit up my DAC with abandonment, but there is no way for me to check on that from where I'm at, as they don't have an online request their reports. My total experience over the nearly 3 years is at a year and 3 months. I suspect that another company would look at my employment gaps and dread hiring me, knowing that I would quit in 3 or 4 months.

I have shown loyalty to Swift, but my last time back, in the flatbed division, really was a pain. Lots of 700 miles trips that involved hours or chaining and tarps. It seems the long trips just didn't happen all that frequently as the time before and it wasn't just me, as other drivers in "the triangle" were saying the same thing if they were company drivers. Mileage was around 2200 - 2500 per week, with the short trips and all the non driving tasks that eat away at the clock.

I am willing to give Swift another try, but I'm not going to beg them if they don't at least have the guts to tell me I'm not rehirable. In my whole time at that company I have noticed that they are very non confrontational and are very careful in what they type in messages over the Qualcomm or what they say. It seems that saying nothing is easier than offending the driver all that much.

I will probably come back to the Phoenix area in February and try to get hired with another company that does dry van. I'm even open for refrigerated, but have no experience doing it. I was getting .46 per mile pulling flatbed for Swift. I checked Craigslist last week and I see that Swift is offering $2500 signing bonus' for exp. drivers. So why won't they talk to me?

Just thinking out loud here and I welcome your thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidTennTrucker

MidTennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    Wow. Not sure what to say here. You've quit Swift 4 times. Not sure how that shows loyalty. Did you have some prearrangement with them that you would only work a few months out of the year? They are probably tired of messing with rehiring you when they know you will just quit 4 or 5 months down the line.

FinkPloyd, Wild Murphy, 12 ga and 6 others Thank this.
  4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Can you really blame them?

Xzay, RookieJ1987, FinkPloyd and 10 others Thank this.
  5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I quit every time I get home. I just wind up going back to work.

nax, NavigatorWife, FinkPloyd and 15 others Thank this.
  6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    You need a brain transplant

ghjjf, Xzay, Wild Murphy and 11 others Thank this.
  7. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Have you been talking to Queen Bee?

Oh you meant the OP!

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Your situation makes it very difficult for any large carrier to consider you as viable prospect for employment. Remember, it costs money for a carrier to hire you, and the carrier never actually gets to recoup that financial hit, as you leave again before six months.

Your best options would be to either:
    A) Find a carrier that is willing to place your employment status in suspension during your time overseas.

B) Find a carrier that specializes in seasonal work that works during your time here.

C) Finally, perhaps find another profession where your work availability and travel needs blend better with possible employers' needs.

The fact is that the majority of trucking wouldn't work for your needs as I understand them. You wish to spend a great deal of time out of country. And most carriers need their drivers here and working throughout the year. If I were a trucking carrier owner, I wouldn't consider you a viable employee either. Sorry, but them's the facts.

9. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I know some companies hire "casual" drivers. Would this guy be considered that?

NavigatorWife and mountaingote Thank this.
  10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Me too except I forgot where home is....

11. PackRatTDI

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I think your friends from the Politics forum said you came from under a rock somewhere. ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.