Hiring students in Florida?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Chauncestanbul, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregvd

gregvd Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Windy Hill. If it was not for them, I would not have a trucking job. Period. I searched and searched and they are the only company that will take new student drivers in Florida. I went through 5 weeks of being out with a trainer and now in my own truck for the last 3 weeks. They do keep me busy. I am out 3 to 4 weeks, then home 1 day for each week out. So far so good. The only draw back is that you have to sign a 1 year contract or you will have to pay all your training money you earned back to them. In my case it would be about 2 grand. But I plan to stick it out, so It did not bother me. I'm in this for the long haul. As for a company to work for, Two thumbs up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Windy Hill is my suggestion also!!!

4. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Just saw posted in Orlando this morning. Central Refrigerated Lines, hiring newbeeees. Form a line to the right please. Seriously, ya'll better jump on it. Good Luck........

5. TomVamp

TomVamp Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ocala,Fl
    I seen its been a couple of weeks I got the call yesterday from windy hill. But missed it tired them today and the person was out calling back tomorrow. How is it now you have been there for a couple of weeks on your own. Do you have much down time? Hoping to get in with them been trying to get in a good company for the last 8-9 months now. Hopefully see you on the road.

6. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    Why is it hard for people to get jobs out of FL?

I start school next Monday. I have called around and 4 of the 5 places I called said they are taking grads from FL. KLLM is not taking FL unless you have 6 months exp.

7. jtrnr1951

Not much freight in florida, due to almost no industry down here. Makes it tough to get back out of florida with a load............

8. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    WhenI tell them I don't need to get home, they are like OK.

I know a o/o that brings cupcakes out of Maine to FL but has to dead head to ATL, then another o/o pulls for US Foods and he comes here every other week and gets out loaded. A lot of produce comes out of here but thats it.

Sad to say but if a storm comes then there's work. What about Comcar? I see those trucks all over the place. They are in Auburndale. They are also taking grads.

9. TomVamp

TomVamp Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ocala,Fl
    Well good luck thats what happened to me in Feb when I started school. all these companies said to me okay get your license and give us a call when you are done and that was that. Roadmaster promised jobplacement too but that lady is a joke. So if all these places you are calling is hiring write them out and we all can tell you for sure if there really are or its a bunch of bull. Here in Ocala I keep seeing swift online hiring but yet I have applied three times with them including once out of roadmaster and still never heard anything. Central Ref says ocala online but u fill out the app and then get a email saying sorry your out of the area. So just put it this way without 6 or more months experiance you are not getting a job when your done unless you have a comformation letter in hand right now before you start school stating when your training begins. If you dont have that Sorry to say you are throwing your money away right now. I spent 5000 cash to get my cdl and I am glad I paid it up front or I would have had the bank on my ###. But good luck anyway

10. jtrnr1951

tom,
    didja try WEL, LCT....any luck anywhere?

11. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    oops double post

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.