Hiring students in Florida?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Chauncestanbul, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    I decided to start school anyway. I passed my written on the 4th day of class. I will use a family members address in Maryland just so I can get in some place good.

The places that i found hiring, i am going to stay away from. They are using auto shifts and I want to learn that 10 speed. You mention autoshift to them in that school and they freak out on you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Willis Shaw has an ad in Jax today for students !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best offer around.

4. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    jtrnr!!!!! You're killin' me!!!

SSSHHHHH!!!!! Please be quiet!!!

I am waiting for a call with my orientation date. Don't let the secret out...yet.

5. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Sorry brother..........
    GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94nole Thanks this.
  6. Another Day in Paradise

Another Day in Paradise Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    lol..now if only there were some more hiring in south fl..

7. elmo99120

elmo99120 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Valdosta, Ga

Whatsup guys and gals. I live in Valdosta, Ga and am having the same issues as you guys are. My situation is a little different though. I have 5 months driving for Schneider, 3 of which was solo OTR but had to leave due to my grandpappy having a heart attack. Family was a little more important than making .27/mile at the time.

I am in contact with my old manager who is now a terminal manager at another logistics type company. He and the recruiters from the ATL operating center say that they are hiring out of the Valdosta area but only team drivers and lease operators/ o.o's.

I am burning up the keys on my keyboard trying to find something though. Got about another 3 to 4 weeks to get some money coming in or I will be living in my truck (my pickup that is). The job market down here is shot to ****, can barely get out at the local Labor Ready office.

Hopefully putting in applications with every company out there will pay off here soon. Swift said they would hire me but the earliest orientation date they had available was in January, which is BS.

8. 94nole

94nole Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2007
    JAX, FL
    elmo,

I hope you are buring up the keypad on your telephone. Call them about 1-2 days after applying online. But call them. They are not very likely to call you. Set yourself apart by being proactive.

$.02 worth

9. elmo99120

elmo99120 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Valdosta, Ga
    Yep, went and upgraded cell to an unlimited plan just for that reason lol.

Somethings gotta give. If i will even team if I have too but they have to find a team partner somewhere nearby before that can happen. Hopefully something will break soon or I will just go to wally world, by some polishing supplies and then just hit truck stops and see if any o/o's need their rims shined. Beats being homeless which is what I will be soon if something doesn't happen soon.

10. lovintruckin

lovintruckin Light Load Member

May 15, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Have you tried May Trucking? They have a terminal in Pensacola and hire out of GA...newbies too.

11. elmo99120

elmo99120 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Valdosta, Ga
    Yeah, they said that I lived outside their hiring area right now. It's all good though. I leave this Thursday for the 2day orientation with Werner. I know all the bad stuff on them and I have read some good stuff on them so only one way to find out which way it is and that's to drive for em.

I got placed with their "East Regional" Division so we will see what happens with that. They are also crediting all my previous time of 3 months OTR to the pay scale so I won't have to start at the very bottom, still bottom enough though. The way I see it is that I won't be able to have my choice of driving jobs til at least the 1 yr mark, most likely the 2 or 3 yr mark the way things are.

It gets me back to doing what I love so I grin and say "yes massa" til I get the time I need to move onto something better. But, if they treat me right I will stay with them. Only way to know which way it will end up is to try em out and see. Thanks for the tips though peeps, I will have a laptop on the road with me so I will check in when I can with updates.

"insert cheezy truckin euphamism here", cya guys/gals.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.