Hit a car stopped in hammer lane

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by missjhawk, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Biggest crook out there, besides Saul Goodman

Lepton1, JoeyJunk, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Yes, as much as we would all love to see the video, you need to do this.

Cops will always cite you, easier for them, big truck always at fault, guilty until proven innocent cuz you're a professional driver

4. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    Too fast for conditions! That's classic. That applies to everybody except state troopers and cops. when they do the same thing it's just an accident. they never received a ticket, even though they're considered professional drivers not unlike ourselves. Double standards you got to love it.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So it is raining and you are in the hammer lane and going around what sounds to be a fairly tight curve at around 60. With only a few seconds to respond to anything in front of you, it had to be fairly tight.

Someone is stopped in your lane and there is traffic next you so you can not move over.

Someone else is said to have hydroplaned and that is why the car in your lane stopped, but you say it is a lie.

Let's take that last point first.
    Why are you so certain that someone did not hydroplane, and thus cause the person behind them to stop?
    That makes no sense to me, because you did not see it.

It is raining, and probably pretty hard, if someone had hydroplaned. Yet you are in a big truck, in the hammer lane passing people. Else you would not have been in the hammer lane.
    It seems obvious that the people around you thought a slower speed was appropriate.

You came around a curve going too fast for your sight distance to respond safely to anything that happened, so you were driving too fast for the conditions.

Your fault. You were impatient and reckless.
    Pay for a lawyer if you want, but I doubt the outcome will be any different.

You 'might' change my mind if you post that video.

6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I don’t make the laws

201, buddyd157 and fss99701 Thank this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    What about the laws designating a minimum speed limit on the interstate or prohibiting obstructing the travel lanes? If you're going to cite the truck with a BS catch-all violation, why not also cite the car with the obvious violations of the law?

8. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    Just curious I don't know the law. But isn't there a law about not doing something stupid that causes a crash like stopping in the middle of an interstate for no apparent reason?

motocross25 Thanks this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The minimum speed or obstruction does not pertain to slowing or stopping because of a hazard.
    Get real.

Driving too fast for conditions is very simple.
    If you can not respond to changing conditions quickly enough, you are driving too fast.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  10. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    The only reason I was in hammer lane was to avoid being around a sir brakes a lot with flashers on riding down the road the more I backed off a particular car the more they slowed down I had gotten down to 35mph so I chose to go around said vehicle because it was just raining more than a sprinkle this is where I encountered this car stopped in middle of road apparently whatever happens was done before I got around curve
    You can say with piece of mind when you have less than truck length to stop no matter how fast or slow you are going in the rain if you approach a stopped car you are going to slide furthermore I can't see around curves may be you can i can't anticipate a car stopping in 70mph zone for no reason I could see

Ky Flash and fss99701 Thank this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

As others have mentioned, lawyer up good. From what it looks like, you were driving too fast for conditions, did not have enough following distance, and were not paying close attention to respond promptly to the stopped traffic after the curve.

If lawyers dig deep into a CDL handbook, they may find that the recommendation is for trucks to slow down before entering curves or hills due to view obstruction. Sure, nobody does it in real life. The other point lawyers may find is that the recommendation is to drive according to your view distance. For example, at night time we should only be driving based on how far our headlight illuminate. In rainy conditions, it’s based on the distance you see. A lot of times this means driving slower to be able to stop fully if there is an immediate slowdown ahead.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.