H'land . . . System (OTR) Miles, Benefits, Problems

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by coondawgs, Oct 6, 2009.

1. coondawgs

coondawgs Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Still thinking about orientation next week. I know it's stupid of me at this point but, I never asked about benefits and there is nothing on the web-site as far as I can see.
    Do they offer benefits? Expensive? How long is the wait?
    Anyboduy having any trouble getting miles (boy is that a LOADED question)?
    Problems with pay? Detention? Lao-over?
    Inspection lanes?
    Treated with a little respect?
    Shippers/Receivers? Any problems?
    Thanks, CD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Just to share some info.
    I just pulled there safestat scores.
    They are in the good zone, Pass.
    The driver date and OOS numbers have gone down over the last 30 months, but the Equipment OOS rates have gone up.
    Most appear to be realted to flat or bad tires and lights out. So not really that big a deal. Also over that 30 months the number of inspections on the Equipment went up a good bit. But they are still under 1% OOS. So not bad at all for a company with around 2800 trucks.
    Many inspections look like they were done after drivers were pulled over for other infractions. The number of speeding tickets seems rather high to me.
    But there are less trucks on the road now than a few years ago, so the ones that are left get more attention.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps. I am still going to be going to Columbus next week for Orientation. Not much out there.
    Check the other threads too, and the one on the main page. Seems to be some layover pay issues.
    Miles wise. I don't know about system, but looking at everything it seems like miles for system drivers would be about the same as for regional. They are a short to Medium haul company, not a long haul company. Though I would guess that the system drivers will do more long stuff.

4. coondawgs

coondawgs Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks CD . . . . . never thought about pulling up the stats.
    I don't know. Still having second thoughts. I called the recruiter again today, trying to get his take on some of the problems referred to in this forum. "Tried" to ease my mind about miles, and had his reasons on the issues of idling, inspection lanes, waiting for loads, etc. And to be honest, I can understand them and they do make sense. I guess I've been spoiled the last 2 years and the thought of going back to a national carrier scares me a bit because I know it's better than what I've experienced with the big dogs before. I just don't want to make the same mistakes that I made before, find myself hating what I'm doing and looking for a change after 4-6 months. Miles? They're ok. Hopefully they'll get better. They are hauling some "decent" accounts, some heavy hitters that aren't going to fold and go out of business tomorrow. They do micro-manage drivers to some extent, and he admits it. Fueling, idling, when to run and when to shutdown, inspections. Some good, some a little over the top. Can I deal with it? Yea. Would I like to have a "little more freedom?" You bet. Overall I think they're much better than a lot of national fleets, as long as they stick to their word on the miles, and hopefully they'll change for the better if and when this economy gets out of the toilet. I guess I have until Thursday to make up my mind about going here or holding out for a smaller company. I've turned down 2 other offers to orientation from national haulers within the past week. I'd love to find a smaller company closer to home but they just don't have any openings. But smaller company does not necessarily mean better either. It's the luck of the draw. Good luck in Columbus.

5. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I made it over a year with Central Refrigerated before I left them due to things at home.
    They had an inspection lane at SLC that I dreaded to go to. Mainly because they were so slow to fix anything. As long as the inspection takes place on the way in I can deal with it.
    Though it sounded in one post like it was done on the way out, and that made no sense at all to me.
    Fuel routing I got use to at Central. They do not have anywhere near the terminals that Heartland does though. So if I was in the East the only fuel stop at a terminal was in Conley. Otherwise it was pretty open.
    I still had to go where they said and put in the amount of fuel they told me too. But normally it was a fill up and I got less. Getting 50-80 gal more than once in a day would irritate the heck out of me.
    Idling I am use too. My last company did not have an idle rule at all.
    Central had idle rules and the trucks all had Icon systems. So the truck would turn on and off. But even with Icon I had to watch idle, because I could still go over.
    The temps they say on the prostars I can live with 44-78 or whatever it was. I can live with not idling in those temps. At least they are somewhat realistic.
    I wish they had under bunk heaters though. They cost less than a grand and you do not need to idle at all in the winter with them.
    Miles.....
    I am hoping to get 1700+ most weeks. 2000-2200 would be better.
    It would be nice if they had not dropped driver pay 10cpm this past year, but maybe as freight comes back they will raise it back up. There rate is still better starting than most, if the miles are there.
    I am interested in the health insurance, simply because my wife went to part time this year and lost the option. My last company covered the premiums 100%.
    Most small company's are not hiring right now. Many are going out of business or fighting hard to stay going. I do not know what part of the country you are in, so maybe you can get lucky, but there is nothing here.

6. fencepost777

fencepost777 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Poolville Texas
    you guys are at least very close to what you will have to get used to. i am a driver for heartland for 2 years now. the inspections are upon arrival at the terminal,however ther is usually a line to get in..approx 25-30 min per truck. terminal fuel has been cut off. what i mean is you may or may not fill at terminal..they are routing fuel per trip.depending on cost and where you will be going.. also no inverters whatso ever..no microvaves..etc..if it has a household plug on it it will not be allowed.any questions i can help i will.

7. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    They will not let you use the little inverters that plug into a lighter to keep a laptop charged?
    LOL.
    They will have to catch me first on that. No way am I going without my laptop.
    Anything else I can go without.

BigBluePeter Thanks this.
  8. fencepost777

Oct 5, 2009
    Poolville Texas
    well let me just say...i am on my laptop now:biggrin_25524:
    are you looking at regional or system? mileage pay has changed. i think system pays more and what i am hearing about regional..its almost non existant. they are still being kept out 2 weeks..just what i am hearing

9. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I am going regional. The other guy is looking at system. Not sure where he is from.
    I live in NY south of Buffalo near the PA line.
    So I am going to Columbus this next monday for Ohio regional.
    I was hopeing someone that is on it or talks to drivers that are on it comes in here. So I can see how they are doing.
    Does not really matter though I guess, since I need to get back to work. So I am going anyway lol.
    I will just have to wait till I come home for an inverter, or grab one on the road. A little one is all I need anyway. My last one was a 1500w and I left it in my truck when I was laid off, expecting to be going back to work in a few weeks.
    But I had one if the newest trucks in the fleet, with an engine warrentee, so they swapped me out of it without telling me. So the few things I left in the truck are all gone.
    Mainly I wanted the inverter and my 50 foot air hose with the gladhand ends on it. Was nice on hooks, since I could air up low trailer tires.

10. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Another quick comment.
    They are counting me as at 2 years OTR, which I totally expected since it is my only recent OTR. I will start at 38.5 cpm, getting hazmat added soon, so will go to 39.5 cpm.
    Right about 19cpm less than they were doing a year ago.
    If it will get me to the economic change with around 2000 miles a week I will be ok. Not good but ok.
    My wife has gotten use to getting all the bills paid with her income and my unemployment of 440 a week. So anything over 450 a week I plan to save. Till she catches me.

11. fencepost777

Oct 5, 2009
    Poolville Texas
    you should be ok..but i wouldnt plan on much stash. just a litl 150 watt cobra microport will work great and easily fit in your notebook bag or your pocket if you want. i run system at 49cpm..no hasmat. good luck. my avg miles are around 1800-2000. has been for a few months now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.