"Home Daily" means you will be doing night shifts correct

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Dec 14, 2018.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I did "home daily" hauling gas in the early 2000s.

(5) 12-hr days with an occasional 15-hr day, 5pm to 5am with Tue/Wed off.

My life was pretty much what jammer said.

I get more quality sleep now, doing midwest regional food grade tanker. Gone all week, home and "fully present" either Sun/Mon or Fri/Sat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    my company runs day cabs...we work at night, and we are home around sunrise, most mornings. my particular run, i average 8 to 9 hours nightly.

another driver that has a longer to travel route, puts in 12 hours.....

it all depends on the job, company, etc,etc..

day cab just does not mean daytime running, or being done at day time..

Nothereoften and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve been in a day cab since September and I’m not a fan of it. I got better rest being gone M-F and having weekends off.

Metallica88 and spindrift Thank this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    we used to do cryogenics with 18 trailers, 15 tractors and 31 drivers; slip seat each truck re-dispatched every 15 hours....somehow it always got done...

15 hours to fill 5 NYC hospitals with O2 and get back, fuel up and go home while a fresh butt sits in the seat you warmed for 15 hours and keeps it warm for the next guy... rinse and repeat Sunday at 2300 thru Saturday 1600...usually a few trips on Sunday just to add to the dispatcher's indigestion.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    If you have a spouse and kids, I can tell you from experience, the home daily job is rough.

If you run daylight, you fight traffic. Then you get home to a house full of noisy people. And they will want to do family things, and you're expected to participate.

You run nights, come home to an empty house everyday while they're at school and work. Then they come home and now you're awake at 3 pm and don't have to leave until 700pm. So you're already half tired when you get to work. Oh, and in the summer, when they are all at home, forget sleeping. With the work I do, holidays are cut short, you either work the night before, or the night of the holiday. I'll likely be out Christmas night this year.

But, you do get to see the kids grow up, so it's worth it to me.

Choose wisely.

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I’m very much at home in my sleeper. So I go home daily. Home is where the heart is.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015

9. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    My "home daily" schedule was show times anywhere between 10pm and 2am, 14 to 16 hours at work (logging intrastate in Texas), 2.5 total hours of commuting time per day, and enough "home time" to maybe get 5 hours of sleep per day if I was lucky. Did it for 2 years and lost a lot of weight because I never had time to eat. Recently went back OTR because I needed a break. I'll probably never do the local thing ever again. Huge props to the guys that stick with that type of grind for years on end.

Opus Thanks this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Let’s see, today I got up at 12:50 am to run a 600 mile drop and hook. Most days I am awake by 2 am, occasionally 3 am if I am being lazy. 450-630 mile multi stop runs. Go pick the kids up, come home and spend time with them, eat dinner and go to bed. This is my personal experience.

You will get more rest OTR. I run OTR miles but go home every day. About 11-12k a month.

11. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I was home every day when I hauled wood chips.... first shift would start at say 1,2,3 am monday morning, do your 11 hour rounder then call your partner out to jump on and do the same. 11 on 11 off. By "Friday", it was thursday afternoon. Quality of life was not the greatest. Flip flop day shift and night shift every week or every other week. Very confusing for the body!

12. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome to the LTL world.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.