'Home time' definitions and other important questions newbies don't know the answers to

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by haulit6272, Apr 12, 2019.

1. haulit6272

haulit6272 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2018
    If you're a company driver and not an owner operator, what kind of mileage and gas restrictions will they place on you between the time you deliver the last load before your time off without pay, and when you're on the clock again with pay, on the way to pickup your next assignment? I can't see being allowed to deliver in Dallas, clock out, drive to Weatherford, clock in, then accept an assignment to pick up a load in Dallas or farther east, backtracking on the company dime. Someone has to pay for that fuel. Lemme guess....."It depends on the company?"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yep, you'll be backtracking on the company dime. That's the cost of doing business. They'll try to send you home with a load to deliver later or maybe your home will be en route to the next load or you'll back track.

haulit6272 Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The staff does.

tucker Thanks this.
  5. haulit6272

Jul 28, 2018
    Always with mgmt approval in advance, I presume.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They'll approve it.
    Some companies have weekends at home and most long haul companies want a week or two notice of your home time request so they can plan your loads to get you home.
    I don't work for "weekends at home" companies because I prefer to keep the wheels rolling and make money.
    So, yeah, you're the employee and have to follow the rules. If you want to be the boss, save your money and buy your own truck.

haulit6272 Thanks this.
  7. haulit6272

Jul 28, 2018
    I thought you were a retired hazmet driver based in Vegas. Didn't know you were still driving.

I know what you mean, especially with the advantage of greatly reduced traffic Sat. and Sun., not having to deal with as many big city rush hours. Seems to me those would be the gravy days. I avoid big metro rush hours during the week like the plague.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    True, living the good life. I still keep up with what's going on though, so it feels like I'm still on the road.
    I enjoy staying in the game; better than puttering around a little garden and wondering where my Aricept is.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Drive for 3 weeks get 3 days off. Most mega companies starting out give u 1 day off for every week out but they cap it on how many days of home time i can take.. Buy a house or don't buy an apt or don't.. Do whatever the hell u want... But ur better off living out of the truck and banking all the money I can save with that no rent payment.. After u get a good year of experience and if u want to go local then find a place u want to live and find a job... No need to make it so complicated , I think x1heavy has wrote some shorter posts and I never thought I would say that Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.