Homeless vs. Cheap apartment

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bum, Apr 5, 2013.

1. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I'm with you Chinatown! I'm heading to Nicaragua. A friend of mine is already settled in there and I'll be soon to follow. There's a little more risk there then the surrounding countries but as of now the dirts cheap! My friend bought his place, a 4 bedroom on one acre with garage and another two story divided home which he rents, on the beach for $47,000. The only downfall is its still in a remote area and is 3 hours off the nearest paved road. Once you are there though its worth it!

Bum and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I50

I50 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Of course it is cheaper to live out of your truck. No rent payments. You don't even need a vehicle so no vehicle payments. then you can quickly pay off your bills and buy everything with cash. Find real estate and auto auctions and save yourself even more money. Get out of the rat race the best you can when you can. Don't get stuck with heavy high interest mortgage rates and auto loans that the greedy rich want to keep you slaving for the rest of your life for. And don't marry someone who insists on pulling you back into slavery because they can't wait a little bit more to do things sensibly. If they can't wait six years for all their wants to be fulfilled, they are not mature enough to be married and you will probably have someone better come along by then anyway.

AZS, ShallowDOF, thabk206 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, Chompi, go for it!! I have no regrets at all for my condo in the Orient. More Americans would do the same if they knew you can live the good life on very little money, by retiring overseas.

Bum Thanks this.
  5. zoekatya

zoekatya Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    you know what you could do if you want to spend the money for hometime each month just rent a motel by the beach somewhere and relax and enjoy life.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Bum Thanks this.
  6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    LOL do the crackheads and bums bother you?

Bum Thanks this.
  7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    If you have a truck with a decent sized sleeper, set up right, living in it isn't really that difficult. About all you miss is a shower and commode. And every truck stop has those. My older brother has an apt near Kansas City, that isn't significantly bigger than my sleeper.

Bum Thanks this.
  8. Bum

Bum Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2013
    all over now
    can you still get per diem if you use a UPS post office box?

9. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Technically probably not but since with a UPS store box, you do get an actual street address, you may get away with it.

10. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I really don't think having a PO box is too much of an issue. There are entire towns that go to the post office to pick up their own mail every day. Route delivery isn't available. Golden City, Mo., where I used to live is like that. Everyone in town has a PO box number for an address. But a box at a UPS store may certainly be a different issue with the IRS.

Bum Thanks this.
  11. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    The box isn't the issue. You have to have a home to take per diem so I believe Bum was asking if he could get away using the UPS store address as his "home".

Bum Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.