Hometime Parking lot mess. Truck held by lot owner.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I worked out of Mobile for over 7 years. TWIC and hazmat will open doors everywhere. Not only on the port.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Finally got my truck back and finishing my load.

We're still working on an alternative parking spot. I'm using Loves for now.

I might stick around with the company long enough to finish my year in 3 months and look into the Hazmat and TWIC. I might go for Superior Carriers.

Linte_Loco and Just passing by Thank this.
  4. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    Check out Legend. Their drivers make good money and the equipment is plenty new.

Also Standard Furniture our of Bay Minette is looking for company guys. Pay is 75k on average. Don’t need hazmat or Twic for them either.

Flower wood in loxley pays good money too. Both get you home after each run and have good benefits from what I’ve been told.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Is Standard Furniture strictly using their own trucks now or are they still using an outside carrier to supplement their trucks?

I worked the Standard Furniture account for the last 6 months of contract one particular carrier had with them. The contract didn't get renewed and I didn't want to go with the folks who took over the contract.

The work wasn't bad, once I got use to it, but that first week, I was sore in places I didn't know I had.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  6. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567

They still rely on outside trucks. We’ve been with them since 2007 and this year I haven’t seen nearly as many outside carriers. Dolphin does a good chunk for them, but they also deal with American Freight which is CHEAP.

This year has been hit or miss cause the NYC stores pretty much stopped ordering once they ceased domestic product. They still keep us going so I can’t complain any.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Update:

Well, I'm still with this company. I decided to hold out to have one complete year which I basically have now.

Interestingly, my current dispatcher has decided to quit which is a bummer because she was easy to deal with and professional. This means I'll go back under another dispatcher who is a micromanaging weirdo I used to work with who kept calling me on the phone for every little thing instead of using our onboard computer. I'm feeling that it's time to move on. ( It's actually been time, but wanted the full year on my work history. )

I'm debating whether to hurry and signup for another job or take a break. I've worked hard to cleanup my work history having just worked for PTI and Veriha over the last 3 years. It would be nice while not working to get my Hazmat and TWIC done.

One other issue is this company never found a replacement parking space. I've been leaving it at a truck stop nearby. When I signed up, I picked it up at the lot in Mobile, but now that is gone so I can't return it the way I got it. I'm wondering if to avoid 'abandonment' I have to leave it at the nearest terminal which would be Jacksonville, FL or Albany, GA and take a plane or bus home.

Just passing by, 88 Alpha and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You dont want abandonment, the small economic loss of you getting home any way you can is better than what will cost you once they plaster DAC with stolen, unauthorized, etc etc etc whatever they please.

I actually had one of those by a company which was very costly one year. I managed to work around it and continue to bring in income in spite of with trucking. But its not welcome.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  9. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Okay, this is annoying but I think you're right. My current dispatcher gave 2 weeks notice so I'll talk to them about this situation.

I could probably get a ride from the terminal office to catch a bus or plane or whatever is most convenient. Maybe just do a car rental.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We grabbed a candy apple red sports rental out of Memphis and home in a few hours the last time we left a truck at the FFE yard there. Could not be easier. If all going homes were that easy we would have done it that way no more greyhounds. Or cattlecall airline.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  11. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Oh yeah, I was just thinking I have a week of accrued vacation time I haven't used. Do quitting drivers just get that on the last paycheck as a standard practice?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.