Honest opinion on night driving

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Phenomenal, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Phenomenal

Phenomenal Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    I got a new script ( distance) with anti-glare. Eye doc said my old one was too strong and my eyes had to compensate. That explains the headaches. Also tested for peripheral vision which was good. I'll try the new glasses but I don't think eyeglasses can help me with rainy nights. I honestly cannot see anything in my review side mirrors when they are covered in rain droplets. Would RainX on the mirrors fix that? Can't hurt, eh?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    the glasses will help
    rainx will help
    mirror heat will help

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  4. Phenomenal

Feb 12, 2018
    No cataracts

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Great that's good, I wear shooting glasses, yellow tint seems to help. Of course sticking my glock out the window and turning them off for the other guy helps even more.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  6. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Lazer surgery isn't the answer IMO. I hate night driving too....especially in the rain. The glare, the oncoming traffic... sometimes the lines disappear. I don't care if dispatch will b/tch
    - I'm pulling over at the next opportunity.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Old School
    Mounted on the headliner- usually purple/blue/red... You remember? wow

Just don't see that no more..And Yes,it worked!!

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, i had a mini light bar, (3 purple ones mounted together) then at a later time, a single light, never really seemed to work for me.

also too, although i cannot prove this, i thought that the DOT did not allow any colors showing in the front, other than white or amber?

i was told more than one time, driver getting tickets for non-compliance equipment.

again, it's what i had heard, so i cannot prove it, as it never happened to me.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    there not suppose to be that bright for aiding your vision, some of the trucks I have driven have one of the overhead lamps are red, that helps

10. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Any way you can reduce glare will help, like polarized lenses in your eyewear, keeping the windows clean inside and out, dimming your dash lights and computer screens.

My eyes have been light sensitive since I got a bad flash from an arc welder a long time ago.
    Other truckers used to get on me about having 5 or 6 pairs of sunglasses in my truck, but each had a purpose.

I had a pair of polarized yellow night driving glasses, (that unfortunately wound up at the bottom of a lake during a fishing trip), another pair with polarized yellow lenses for rain and gloomy weather that I call my happy glasses, (actual fishing/shooting glasses), a pair of polarized glasses with a blue/grey tint for sunny days, (cool on the eyes), and a pair with red lenses for daytime snow and fog to increase contrast, also a green pair and likely a spare set of some kind.

The colours were not random choices, choices were made based on a photography book I read about the characteristics and physics of the light spectrum and how the human eye perceives that light.

The problem with red and yellow is, there's an adjustment period for your eyes to adjust when you remove them, and if you wear them too long they can cause headaches.

Another tip for reducing glare.
    Try to drive north and east during day time, south and west at night.

Hope your new glasses work out for you.

Phenomenal Thanks this.
  11. Phenomenal

Feb 12, 2018
    I have a red overhead light in my truck. I didn't know it was for that reason. :confused:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.