Hood Fever, Is there a cure?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Ok. First question, who pays $900 a week? And how does that work? Your monthly would be over $3600? That's has to include fuel? How many payments before you own it? I'm looking at a new 2013 730 and it will be nowhere near that i would not survive??

I also love a hood but with the smaller places we have to go into and fuel prices my last hood was a 2005 classic and it got 6 on a good day. The cascade got 7's regularly (when it worked properly) $12000'in my pocket a year. Made a major difference I stopped caring so much what the out side looks like, it's all about comfort, quiet and fuel mileage. $$ in my pocket. I don't want to be home on weekends wrenching on a truck I have other projects that I would rather pour my attention into im hoping to just tradPe every 3 yrs from here out and always have warranty and hopefully a somewhat trouble free truck. Time will tell I guess. I have a friend who pulls it off he takes more home has less headaches always knows exactly what his expenses are and has a new quiet comfortable ride. As I said time will tell??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
  4. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who pay over $900/week just in truck payments. Especially if they have a new truck.

When it all comes down to it people will drive what they want to drive. I'd love to have a Hood and that's all I want. I could never buy a Volvo though. Just personal choice. As for turning a wrench on the weekends I'd love doing that. Getting under the hood and getting my hands dirty on my own truck would be great. I love working on my truck and taking pride in my ride.

I'm looking at a w900a right now that I'll be doing the inframe myself in my spare time and restoring it. A lot cheaper than buying a high priced used truck.

5. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I love turning wrenches myself but I have a 71 A1Ss to restore an old z1 to restore and an old BSA I'm trying to get out of a neighbor that's in boxes. After that I want a 29 model a p/'u to restore so wrenching on my truck is not a priority. I take pride in my truck and like a nice clean shiny truck but put more emphasis on the interior, ride and MPG's than the shape of the truck. But to each their own. I do love a nice shiny hood tho.
    And $900 a week , holy crap that's stiff. I would never do it not a chance.

6. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't blame you there. $900/week is pretty steep.

7. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I definitely believe in doing your own work that is within ones capability. Don't mind getting dirty to get something fixed. But fixing the same thing two three times is not fun. Coming home just to work on crap is definitely NOT fun. Working on stuff to build more power is always cool. But a vast majority of a older truck is fixing expensive crap you would never think of...as well when you go to the parts counter you will be the only that has whatever problem your truck has this week.

I keep asking the local parts guys for a truck that I will no longer need them. They just grin & take my money. Again, more NOT fun.

SHC and DrtyDiesel Thank this.
  8. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    When you put it that way, Its a good point.

Ethan

9. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I agree I'm hoping that I will have a good experience with the new Volvo and every 3-4 yrs just get another new one. Spend my time in the garage working on my toys not my tool.

10. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    The cure for the Hood Fever is going to come from the Obama Administration's mandate to the truck manufacturers to increase fuel mileage standards by 23% starting in 2014 model years that I heard will discontinue all Classis Model Trucks with the long hoods and even heard Freightliner maybe doing away with Western Star to meet that fuel mileage mandate.

11. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Ahhh yes, but we have 126 days when we can CHANGE that.

DrtyDiesel, Dice1, SHC and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.