Horn preference?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TommyTrucker88, Oct 20, 2018.

1. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    Hey guys so ive driven quite a few trucks and it surprises me how different each one can be from make to model. One thing that i really hate is horns.
    Ive driven trucks where the city and air horn were on the steering wheel, And trucks with air horns right above the door frame.
    I cant understand why some trucks have both horns on the steering wheel.
    Ive had some trucks with so many buttons on the steering wheels that in a emergency situation it would so hard to press the air horn and would require you to look at the wheel instead of the road just to find the horn button.
    I feel as if all air horns should be on the drivers side frame.
    I wanted to know if you guys feel the same way and what is your experience with horns?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    wish they would put it next to the gas and brake pedals because if im not using either one of those, i would like to step on the air horn ;)

4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Best place to mount a real loud horn is pointed in the blind spot, a little toot to get somebodies attention is needed sometimes.

KB3MMX and Jwhis Thank this.
  5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I would prefer to have all horns hooked to the city button in the middle of the wheel.

The harder you push the louder it blares.

I have only been driving 8 months and had my first Really close call at killing someone the other day.

I did not have the time to reach for the air horn lanyard up by the dash on my Western Star.

just time to instinctually hit the horn in the middle of the wheel while I grabbed the center spokes and Swerved 3 different directions in less than 2 seconds.

I since than have lengthen the air horn land yard but even with that on there reaching for the lanyard would have cost me precious time.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Somewhere along the line the turn signal changed from meaning “I’m getting ready to go that way” to “please hit the gas and get in my blind spot”

Rideandrepair, MACK E-6 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i prefer a MLRS rocket launcher button on the steering wheel...

[​IMG]

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They used to have blades on the wheels on the chariots of olden age that would slice and dice up the ones they had on the sides.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  9. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I learned a long time ago, the horn is a poor substitute for speed and braking. I was also schooled that a pedestrian on the road, can be scared right into the road by a loud horn. Lessons that have stayed with me to this day. Try telling a judge that you sounded your horn, and that it was the loud one, but that #### car (school bus, pedestrian or a kid on a bicycle) pulled right in front of you, and you T-boned it. Guilty as charged!

MartinFromBC, tommymonza and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'd, never mind, can't say that, impossible anyway.

Western Star had the cable pull centered where you could reach it easily with your right hand, which was the most instinctive for me. I have to think about it otherwise, and I've been driving truck for 14 years.

tommymonza, x1Heavy and KB3MMX Thank this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My father used to tell me before you reach for that horn make sure you have took your foot off the throttle and have the brake pedal covered. It's too bad it seems most drivers today do that the other way around.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.