Horn

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m16ty, Mar 16, 2017.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I've got some conflicting info on the regulation regarding horns. A guy that does some of our mechanic work and anual inspections says that both horns must work (electric and air). After reading the regulations, all it says is the truck must have a working horn.

The reason I ask is I have to make a run to KY in the morning. For some reason, the electric horn wasn't working today when I did a inspection. I haven't had time to really look into it but I believe the problem lies inside the steering wheel contacts. My mechanic stopped by this afternoon and says it's out of service but after reading the regulations, I'm thinking I'll be ok to make the run and look into it when I get back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    HalpinUout Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I assume you've checked the fuse? Then find the horn wherever it is and jump 12 volts to it and see if you can make work. Those contacts in the wheel just don't fail.

5. pigeon river trucking

pigeon river trucking Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    michigan
    I would make my run if it were me.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Well I noticed a couple of days ago that when I would turn the wheel and hold it in a certain position, the horn wouldn't work. Today it's not working all together.

It's a 1995 FL Classic. The way it works is the contact is actually located on the steering column, down toward the bottom. I removed the cover and the ring contact mounted on the steering shaft is worn badly. I need to look into it further but if the ring needs to be replaced, only way I see to get at it is to pull the whole steering column. I'll probably just install a button on the dash before I do that.

With a test light, I've got power to the steering column and I can manually close the contact and it will work, it just won't work when you push the button in the center of the wheel.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    To be honest, I'd probably make the run, regardless if this was a infraction or not.

I've done it but I don't like crossing the scales and praying that they don't pull me in for a inspection, knowing there is something they can cite me on.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I would run too. Mine sometimes does not work either. And I am tired of throwing money at it any longer. I was thinking about buying one of those train horns they sell at Bosselmans and mount it in the back below the catwalk. This way I'd have a back up in case the main horn refuses to make a noise.

9. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    You need either a city or air horn to work.

One or the other.

It's in the regs, if either one works - your GOOD.

Bean Jr., HalpinUout and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If it is so, I should be all right, my city horn never failed yet. I was not sure if you still need the noisy one to work all the time.

11. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Just need one.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.