Horrible crash in Lakewood CO, I70 closed both directions. 12 vehicles 4 semi huge fire

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Expeditor, Apr 25, 2019.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay. You're a driver but you're in favor of driver facing cameras? That's unusual.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckChicken

TruckChicken Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2018
    I’m just used to it. Really not that big of a deal. Yeah it can be a pain when I want to grab my phone and google an address. I have to pull over and look it up which slows me down.

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Funny you should mention this,I got my CDL from a state accredited CDL training school. In my case it was 5 months of training ( 2 1/2 months of classroom and written/oral testing and 2 1/2 months of on the road and “in the field “ testing and training,of which the final road testing you checked out with a DOT certified state trooper). If more states did this “by the book” chances are you’d have more CDL holders who would use common sense and it would “thin out the herd” of all these CDL mills that are more interested in filling quotas(and seats) than making sure the drivers have the necessary skills to safely operate CMVs.
    (emphasis on the word “safely”)
    Is it foolproof? No,but it would certainly help.

Lepton1, Bud A. and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  5. Regarding those who are saying the trucker's lack of English played no role...

Have you ever WITNESSED the so-called English proficiency test given to truck drivers? The person administering the tests literally asks, "What's your favorite food and why?" and poses simple math questions like, "A bottle of windshield washer fluid costs five dollars, you give the clerk a 20 dollar bill, how much change should you get back?"

The test is NOT hard enough to cover the rigors of the road when it comes to understanding signage and other tasks that keep the vehicle safe.

The English proficiency tests, in my opinion, should consist of a HUNDRED QUESTIONS MOSTLY ROAD SIGNS and you have to get a score of 95. And if you miss "RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP" or "WEIGH STATION," it's an automatic fail.

Watch and see how this trial goes. The trucker, through his attorneys, will certainly admit he didn't understand the sign "RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP."

His alternative is that he DID understand the sign, (TWICE!!!!) but chose to ride things out on failing brakes and kill 4 people.

Joetro, x1Heavy, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    What is that going to do? The driver facing cam is going to magically stop the accident from happening?

Like some magic shield to prevent anything bad from happening?

DenBob, x1Heavy, tinytim and 2 others Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I didn't need to read the article, I remember it well. I lived and trucked in the area, and as a newbie driver you can bet I gave that 59 exit lots of respect after that nightmare.

These things have been happening since before horse and buggy days, and no amount of rules, or government regulations into our daily lives will ever stop them. Are they preventable, yes, will they all ever be prevented, never, it is what it is.

x1Heavy and Bud A. Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is nice to know that some folks want more intrusion in our daily lives.

All that would have acomplished is folks getting to check out the wild eyed scared look on the guys face, many would no doubt get a good laugh out of it.

The last thing I would want is folks (family) seeing he last look on my face when I knew my time has come. I don't have any idea what it would look like, but I would like the privacy to keep it to myself. lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I don't drive anymore. Back at my programming job.

In 2005 I hired a private person to teach me to pass the CDL drivers test and use his day cab truck and 40' trailer. The test consisted of the standard cone backing and other stuff. This was at a weigh station. Then a drive up the highway, take first exit then back down the highway then back to the weigh station and I was done.

After that I went out and bought a truck, flatbed and book on how to secure loads. Got my authority right away and started hauling loads in 2006. My first load was 48,000 pounds of steel from Mass to Vernal, UT in the winter!!!

My steering wheel was smooth when I started and after a year it had those finger slots in it. Did it for 10 years then the fun wore off.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    scythe08, mp4694330, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Mederos made bail.

11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    My first thought when I saw that was whether he'll ever be seen under that name again.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.