HOS Canada and working NOT driving after the 16th hour

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by askingforfeedback, Mar 10, 2020.

1. askingforfeedback

askingforfeedback Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2020
    Hey everyone,

Under a Federal carrier, can you still work after the 16th hour if you are not driving, and still adhere to the 10 hours off duty the next day?

I have mixed reviews from HO and field site's. Everything I find just specifies driving, but does not say you can not work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    @not4hire is our resident Canada law expert. I could give you US's rules, but not what you need. :)

He'll likely be around shortly to answer.

Phantom Trucker and not4hire Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can drive 11 hours to get to Acme Ripoff Inc Storage.

Begin work lumping little boxes. Tiny little boxes, checking visually thousands of differernt codes against a manifest with pencil. Your remaining On Duty time vanished. Poof.

Next your realize that you have worked about another 14 hours removing all those little boxes from your trailer straight through.

Just cannot drive until you have 10 hours break.

The law does not ban working at the end of your onduty time. You can literally work forever and ever thousands of hours or years straight through. Just cannot drive until you had your 10.

Thats why I have lumper ripoff and co get paid 400 dollars and go to bed. It will still be 10+ hours before they are finished. Because I am very well rested after a full 10 in the bunk I am ready to get out of that crappy place. And you wonder why payroll is so slim.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Completely wrong.

liner, Phantom Trucker and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You cannot normally* work beyond the 16th hour under Canadian federal HOS rules due to the specified off-duty time requirement. In the the US, the reason you can continue to work is because you only need to have 10 hours off-duty before driving again, but in Canada you must have 10 hours off-duty each day.

Daily Off-duty Time

14 (1) A motor carrier shall ensure that a driver takes and the driver shall take at least 10 hours of off-duty time in a day.

(2) Off-duty time other than the mandatory 8 consecutive hours may be distributed throughout the day in blocks of no less than 30 minutes each.

(3) The total amount of off-duty time taken by a driver in a day shall include at least 2 hours of off-duty time that does not form part of a period of 8 consecutive hours of off-duty time required by section 13.

- Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations

*The exception to "normally" is the use of the deferral provision whereby you can defer up to 2 hours of off-duty time to the following day. So, every other day you could work an extra 2 hours, but the deferred time must be added to the required consecutive 8 hours off-duty. The two day totals for on-duty, driving and off-duty must still not exceed the maximums/minimums; driving 26 hours, off-duty 20 hours. Deferral cannot be used with the split-sleeper provision.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.