HOS Do I Gain Time Back Even If I'm Currently Driving/On-Duty

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheLotusWay, Jun 18, 2018.

1. TheLotusWay

TheLotusWay Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Hey everyone! So my question is simple although I've had a hard time finding a definitive answer on this. I understand the HOS laws pretty well, the one that was most confusing for me, the Split Sleeper was cleared up with, imo, a great explanation on eldratings.com. I understand that if i worked ten hours, 8 days ago, at midnight tonight, I will regain ten hours to my available 70-hour on-duty time. Maybe my explanation isn't great but I do understand the law.

Just to be clear, at midnight, I get this time back regardless of my current duty status, correct? Here's my situation:
    I have 7.25 hours on my 70-hour and it takes about 8 hours to get to my final. I get 6.5 hours tomorrow (and 10.5 the next day but that's irrelevant). I have a load to deliver tomorrow AM and I can't start working till about 2PM today. I'd prefer to wait where I am, until this evening so I can just run the entire length without needing to take a ten hour break but I also don't want to only start at midnight because that leaves me only a slim margin of error. Even if I start running at, let's say, 9pm, at midnight, do I get those 6.5 hours back even if I'm currently driving or On-Duty? I know all-in-all it couldn't exceed 14 hours consecutive on-duty time or 11-hours drive time but I'm hoping it will at least give me the extra hour or two that I need to get there in one swoop.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes. If you shut down at 12:00 with 60 minutes left on your 70. You can start clock and pull out at 23:00 and start driving and never miss a beat. (All times being Log time zone)

Bean Jr. and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Time zone of your company HQ, address in your ELD. (Logs) Not local time zone. When I ran central zone out of Arkansas into California my midnight is two hours ahead of their local midnight.

There should be a paper RECAP written down last 8 days with your hours worked onduty and driving each of those days. You will instantly know what hours you get back midnight to begin a new work day hours whatever the recap says you have against your total 70 hours in last 8 days.

Sometimes you run at night, sometimes by day or parts of both. Don't get hung up on Midnight. Dear Uncle Sam has to write something to begin a new workday and 0001 hours is it to use Military Time. Or one minute past midnight as written into the Law for a new workday even though you may be proceeding through your current 11 hours driving or 14 hours onduty through midnight. The problem is that 70 hour rule. If you are against it and have no time, you literally are going to SIT either 34 hour reset under your current HOS rules and reset OR you are going to sit until your last 8 days recap hours tell you have time back to begin work the following day. Which might not be a full workday. So,....

I'll shut up now. I cannot be any plainer than that.

5. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    If you have 5 hours today, and you gain 9 at midnight.

You can start at 7p and regain the 9 and could drive the full 11. Obviously with a 30 min break in there.

Your ELD will likely yell at you and tell you You are nearly out of hours.. But when the clock strikes midnight you will magically get the rest of those hours.

I do this quite a bit when I'm short hours.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    No.
    It is the time zone of your assigned terminal.

Lepton1, gentleroger, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  7. TruckerJimbo

TruckerJimbo Medium Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Florida
    Incorrect. Your logs should be done in the time zone of the company HQ. My assigned terminal is in Florida, but the company HQ is in Nebraska. My logs must reflect Central Time.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Then it changed. Ever since I've been out here, you operated on whatever your "home terminal" is.

Lepton1, Moosetek13, mindes and 2 others Thank this.
  9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    and somehow they convince drivers that all this idiotic nonsense has anything to do with driver fatigue lol

stwik, Bean Jr. and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wrong, it is the driver's home terminal, not the company HQ - 395.8 (f) 8) Time base to be used. (i) The driver's duty status record shall be prepared, maintained, and submitted using the time standard in effect at the driver's home terminal, for a 24-hour period beginning with the time specified by the motor carrier for that driver's home terminal.

Well it does as a secondary related issue, abuse is the primary issue. We want HOS there, a lot of drivers think they are special and should be getting special consideration to drive as long as they want and think they are safe doing so.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Let me guess. You heard this from a fellow student over lunch one day in school and naturally accepted this as Gospel. Wonder what other bad info stuck.

scottied67 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.