HOS rules and working in yard.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by just z00t, Aug 18, 2015.

1. just z00t

just z00t Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Hi, I work for a large LTL carrier that runs 60 hours logs and insist that its legal for me to operate a truck and yard horse as long as its on their premises over 14 hours and after 60 hours a week and I have not seen anything in the law the allows this exemption. Could anyone point me to any actual link that would prove this is ok or in my estimation not legal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. just z00t

just z00t Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2015
    My concern is that if I hit somebody in the yard I would be personally at risk for prosecution under the law.

4. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    i used to be a yard hostler.
    your on private property and will never get inspected by a dot. so work as much as you want. no one cares.

flood, snowlauncher and Shaggy Thank this.
  5. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    If you were hired for your CDL, and you gave a pre-employment drug test AND in the system subject to random testing...private property or not, log book or not, you are bound by the time clock of where you "clock in/out"...and 14 hours is the rule. On a 60 hour, 7 day schedule...you are aloud one 16 hour day IF you don't go out of the 100 mile radius.
    I'm not saying I am 100% right or wrong, but that is how I've always understood/interpreted it.

just z00t Thanks this.
  6. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you are on private property I'd say all your time should be recorded as on duty-not driving. You can work indefinitely on-duty not driving. You would not be allowed to drive a CMV on a public roadway before meeting your rest break requirements, though. DOT man is not going to inspect you on your own company's private property.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    godkiddogo has it right. You can WORK (on duty not driving) as long as you want, you just can't drive after 11/14/60 (whatever). Yard hostling is "work" not driving.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  9. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Gokiddogo is correct in his assessment, just like Lone Cowboy stated. I know a guy that spent 22 hours straight in the jockey truck (guessing his productivity dwindled as the hours passed).

BUMBACLADWAR and snowlauncher Thank this.
  10. MadeinMX

MadeinMX Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Mexico
    Hotling units are logged as driving. You can work past your 14th hour on the dock or office but behind the wheel. Yes, they probably wont get audited, but if they did, you would be in trouble too.

just z00t Thanks this.
  11. MadeinMX

MadeinMX Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Mexico
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-of-service

Hours of Service
    Who Must Comply?

Most drivers must follow the HOS Regulations if they drive a commercial motor vehicle, or CMV.

In general, a CMV is a vehicle that is used as part of a business and is involved in interstate commerce and fits any of these descriptions:

• Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
    • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
    • Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
    • Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
    • Is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards
    - See more at: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-of-service#sthash.y9m3MIGk.dpuf

just z00t Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.