Hot shot business easy to start in Houston, TX?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by VinnyVincent, Dec 10, 2018.

1. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Hello,
    I' currently studying to get my CDL and practicing on driving company trucks. In the process I've stumbled upon info to start your own hot shot trucking business. I've read a lot of mixed things about it.
    I'm wondering if, since I live in Houston, TX, this would be more lucrative than something like driving a tanker truck? I see a lot of references to the oil industry and I am wondering if it would be a lot easier than usual to get something started in the Houston area. I have a little bit of money in the bank and could definitely use it to get a used truck and trailer, along with all the legal red tape it would take to get going...

I'm wondering if it would make since to jump into something like this VS driving a tractor trailer for a company to start out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    have you ever owned a business?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    No. I had a small non-profit going for a while, but that's definitely not the same thing.

5. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    The search box is you friend! There are so many threads on here regarding this subject that you could get a ton of info to see what's involved. But whatever you do make sure on the first load you load it to the gills!! IMG_20181205_164616757.jpg

6. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Well there is more to it than just buying the truck and so forth... IFTA quarterly taxes, Insurance, Equipment, Maintenance.. etc... Insurance premium will be High being you are New to CDL world..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.