Hot shot trailer ?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by tnpete, Jan 16, 2018.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I know a lot of people run 40ft 5th wheel trailers. And some have taken the gooseneck off and made it into a drop deck. So why not use a 48ft drop deck flatbed to start with? Can buy one 40ft bottom deck space. 8ft top deck space. 17.5 wheels and tires. Air brakes and some not bad on the price.
    Looked into buying a 40ft Gooseneck, then having someone redo it. And found the price was close to what I can buy a nice Aluminium 48ft drop deck for. 102" wide and even sliding rear tandem. Where its a spread axle, or move the rear axle forward. And have a normal tandem setup.
    I know most with the 1 ton pickups have to run electric brakes. But if I do this, will be using my Kenworth T600 Detroit series 60 11.1 with 10 speed trans, 2.93 rearend. Its a single axle factory truck. Double bunk sleeper and fridge and other stuff. So time away from home, not out $$ on a room or have to eat out all the time.
    I also get most with a pickup claim way better MPG. I have a 24 valve 5.9 cummins. And grossed out with it, sure can't get what these others always tell us they get. I can with a good load get 10 or 11MPG. But Ride is nowhere what the KW is. Also comfort means a lot. Plus with the old truck I have in great shape. Would burn $120,000.oo with of new ram's down. Before this truck is even getting close to that stage.

Would be tagging the truck and trailer at 54,000 lbs.
    Please give me the bad and good on going this way. Not going to hurt my feelings if you feel its not the right direction. Just trying to figure out why I see class 8 single axles pulling a goose neck. Having issues with bearings blowouts and brakes.

Lite bug and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    So basically you are just flatbedding with some limitations like most of us. I can only scale a 29k load on 26x102 dock high deck and if it is over 26k I need it 18' or less. I do OK but I miss a TON of work that is just out of my range. I am plated for 52k max.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    tnpete Thanks this.
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Anyone pulling a gooseneck must pay attention to their brakes, bearings, and tires. If I had done that when I first started out I would have saved a lot of headaches. The goosenecks that are on the market now, are not made to pull as many miles as the hotshot carriers put on them in a year.

tnpete Thanks this.
  5. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    I used to run a single axle tractor with a tandem moving van plated at 60k. That might get you a couple more load options. Get stands to make the lower section the same height as the upper, so you can haul plastic pipe, or other long, light loads.
    The hotshot market is usually for smaller trucks that can get into small loading/unloading sites.
    Personally I think a T270/370 size truck would be about the best for hotshot. Heavier duty than a pickup, air brakes/air ride available, better drive train, and tires, and easier to maneuver than a class8.

tnpete Thanks this.
  6. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I have to ask why the T270/370 would be easier to maneuver? Plus have not see many with a sleeper. And I will say. No way will I sleep in the back seat of a pickup. 6ft1" and 240 just not going to happen.
    I have driven OTR for years. Never had any issues getting a class 8 around. I have backed into docks that everyone told me only local daycabs could get into. And I had a Condo and 53ft trailer.
    Reason for staying under 55,000lbs stay away from the heavy vehicle use tax. Know most will only pay $500 per year on that. But that is 500.
    Plus the truck I have is a single axle truck. And don't want to do the work to turn it into a tandem. Or even add a drop axle to it.
    Thinking its paid for, I have it. Why pull a 40ft gooseneck and have issues with running gear. When I can get a 48ft drop deck. Do the same thing, and trailer is not going to give issues.
    I'm sure I may be looking at this all wrong. But when you own the truck. And can go with a 40ft gooseneck. Or buy a liteweight drop deck for about the same cash. And still haul the same loads. Plus on bulk loads that have no weight. Have that 8ft of flat spot to add extra stuff on also.

Plus if I do this, will be for the most part be hauling bulky loads. Not much weight, but thinking that extra 8ft may pay for a lot of fuel. PVC pipe and tanks. And on the tanks that's extra freight that I could not haul on the 40ft gooseneck. But then again they may not want to pay extra..

Also my truck old enough I could run paper logs. And also no emissions at all on it. And gets great MPG's being its the 11.1 Detroit. Geared for low weights and good MPG.

7. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    You are thinking exactly the same as me. I was looking into the same ideas, just ended up going with a company job.
    Maneuverability of the T270 should be better due to it being smaller, but I couldn't find any turning radius specs. Plus it is the same cab as the class8 trucks, so adding a sleeper would be simple. BUT, having to buy one and pay for all that when you already have a perfectly usable truck would be nuts.
    I know I see guys running class8 S/A as hotshots, so it is doable.
    I'd go with the dropdeck, the savings in tires and brakes should pay for it, plus if it doesn't work out it will be more saleable.
    You need to look into the types of freight you will be hauling, and the rates. Are you going to lease on to someone, or go it on your own?
    Good luck.

tnpete Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Would be running on my own. Figure if I'm going to do it. Why make someone else the cash. When I can do it myself. If I do go this route. Have some customers, that can get me 90% of my loads. And loaded 95% of the miles.
    Also most loads are at or under 10,000 lbs. Heavy load would be 14,000 lbs. Out Sunday night, back in Tuesday after noon. Then leave out Wed and back Thursday night.

9. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    This is close to the route I'm trying. Been running a 1 ton Ram & 40' gooseneck for a few yrs now. Got a '93 fld120 48" bunk, factory single axle with 11.1L series 60. Took me longer than I was hoping to get road worthy, but should be on the road by Monday. I'll let you how it pans out.

Would like a 48' dropdeck but will run the mini float for the time being. Been loading as heavy as 17k lbs on deck, thinking it will handle 18-18,500lbs if distributed properly according to the builders' load rating..

What axle, & brake problems have y'all been having? Got 12k dexters & EoH disc. With regular maintenance no problems to speak of. Just the 10ply China bombs blowing but seemed to have solved that with 14ply all steel rubber..

10. Todd Edwards

Todd Edwards Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi guys. Go buy you a Big Tex 40 feet with ramps. You can haul cars, tractors, general freight plus all those light loads. You can always add the top deck later. The Big Tex trailer are light but build strong. The Big Tex trailers are very easy to sell.

11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I'm not a fan of the deck over neck option. Adds about 500lbs directly to the drive, which also means about 500lbs less freight weight on the neck. This is an issue for me as most of the necks are only good for about 6k lbs to begin with. Also it's a wind catcher, & the deck height is what?, about 78" from the ground? I guess you may get some use out of it, but to many negatives for my operation.

Also with a 48' stepdeck, when the shipper or broker says 'no hotshots' for whatever stupid reason they have, you'll still be able to grab it with that step.. And it will most likely be air ride, another plus. I missed 2 loads this week, one for air ride, one for no hot shot even know it was a 11k boom lift of which I've already hauled a few up to 16k..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.