Hotshot Dually + 3 car hauler. Under or over 26K lbs?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hammershield, Apr 27, 2016.

1. equinn2823

equinn2823 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2016
    how is dodge a no go? everyone i talk to says the exact opposite. 2018 cummins with the aisin is rated to tow 30k pounds.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    It's hard enough to make it in this business these days, why would you want to start off with anything less than the optimal equipment for the job?
    Interstate Fuel Tax Agreement, needed for over 26k
    Not sure what he was referring to. Dodge is the only viable option for this business. You would be insane to buy a new one though. Keep in mind you are buying a truck to throw miles on and it will be worth 10k if you're lucky when you are done. Plenty of used duallys out there for half of the cost of a new one. Or even better find a 12.7 Detroit or N14 powered semi and have a truck that actually appreciates if well maintained and opens you up to trailers that have axles that aren't complete pieces of sheet

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. elgerone

elgerone Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    you can make decent money pulling under 26k to start and get ifta as your business grows its all about $ per mile and a bonus backhaul.

5. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    The backhaul mentality needs to die

LGarrison and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. elgerone

elgerone Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I did say bonus if i comeback empty i stil profit

7. NoRearviews

NoRearviews Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Would like to know that answer myself?

8. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    Pricing your freight properly. You can make a decent living. There are way too many variables to help you with an exact number.

9. cody martinez

cody martinez Bobtail Member

May 23, 2018
    Kingman Arizona
    I run one tons and 3 car wedges, It works for me just fine, but as others did say, stay away from cheap freight. I run out of Arizona, which is great for me, I stay out of California and the eastern US. Not sure how the market is out your way, but i do great with this type of truck and trailer. Although we do plan on upgrading to 5 car trucks in time. Hope it all works out for you, good luck!

10. Perma Grin

Perma Grin Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Ok Cody, where do your drivers sleep? Are you running under the GCWR of the truck or by axle weights? Looking to get into this and like first hand experience for making my decisions, but don’t want a ticket either. I am looking to run my 30ft flatbed trailer, 16k gooseneck, to run hot shots or really just general flatbed freight.
    Any help is appreciated. Starting out is kinda rough but I loved driving OTR, just didn’t like the dispatch shuffle. I have my CDL, since 2001, clean record but haven’t used it for 10 years. Always up to date medical and hazmat. I may go class 8 but don’t want to tax my credit like that.

11. wizardtrader

wizardtrader Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2019

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.