Hotshot I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Gonzo1300, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gonzo1300

Gonzo1300 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I have been driving for one company for 9 years now. Owner is about to stop making the car tow dollys and retire. So for over a year I have been looking into taking one of the trucks getting a 40 or 45ft and roll. Problem is if you listen to everyone on here you won't get $1 a mile from brokers and sit alot. I have not looked on any of the paid load boards but the ones I have seen don't even pay .80 a mile. So am I to understand that you need to get your stuff together then randomly start knocking on business door asking if they have frieght? I know a couple of people and one company that hauls cars but that just seems to me to paint yourself into a small corner only being able to run on kind of freight. Am I missing g something here. I mean there has to be something on D.A.T boards where there is frieght. If this is the case why would anybody do hot shot at all it's actually easier to get in a Class 8 truck. If someone could shed so.e light on this dark park of my brain would be helpful lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Gonzo your perception about the hotshot is correct. What I think you are missing or unaware of is experience. A lot of people will go under before gaining it. Some people will lease on to a company. The idea behind that is the company is successful and takes part of the profits and the O/O keeps his percentage of the gross. Another way is to get with a company that specializes in finding loads while you maintain your authority. In both cases you are drawing on other people’s experiences. I know people who have been taken advantage and lost money in both examples. Sometimes the gut feeling pays dividends in minimizing loses. Your experience in life starting out is a great factor. ( knowing when to roll th dice or not ) I have used both examples. Starting out I was leased to a guy starting out. He was in business for only a couple of years. IMO his business model for his O/O was not profitable. The time he started 2007 was a terrible to start a business. The next 8 years not so good either. I got my authority in 2009 and shortly after l paired up with a guy who was starting up a dispatch service in the town I live in. He had tried hotshot and went under, so he had experience. He had spent years in Sales a plus. And since he needed someone to start with he was really inexpensive. We had opportunity to learn together. After a couple of years his contacts and O/O expanded. At this point I knew it was time I needed to do everything myself. And with technology I could do this ( searching for loads anywhere getting loaded , getting oil change, eating ) During the next few years coming to the realization that staying local could be more profitable. Then comes Dec 18th and looking finding out I will not need he ELD. This is not what most people think or will tell you about hotshot, because they don’t know or it’s not how they do it.

rabbiporkchop and Gonzo1300 Thank this.
  4. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah most people tell you that you are going to go broke yet they are running a hotshot. I like running the little trucks but it just looks more profitable running Class 8 trucks though I hadn't looked on paid sites like internet cafe or truckersedge to get a feel for what's actually out there. From what info I have gotten as of now if I do the little trucks it would be best to puck up a dispatcher and go. Leasing is not a terrible idea because it's kind of a small safety net but I just simply don't trust companies that have company drivers and then dispatch for owner operators it just seems to me that's common sense they would keep the best loads for company drivers. I'm still on the fence so which one to do but it does just simply look like it would be better to run a big truck because of available loads instead of sitting around waiting. Again all the hot shot guys just seem to be Doom and Gloom we're going broke there's no money here but then you will hear a guy say who I got $3.70 on my all and I averaged $2.20 last month you know. This Thread is the last I'm going to talk about it then I'm just simply going to make my mind up I just hate to make a bad decision that cost $50,000 or more. Thanks for the info Lite bug. At least you don't sound like it's Doom and Gloom and don't do it we're going broke.

5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I'll never understand the lure to live in the
    back seat of a pick up truck getting 2 or 3 showers
    a week because that's all you can afford,for low pay.
    Your better off getting 10/11 bucks an hour at home.
    Get your 40 hours and enjoy your weekends.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I don’t understand a lot of things people do. I shower at the house. If it is winter and I am on the road I shower in the motel. If it is in the heat of summer and I am out I get a room. I could not do that first with someone else calling the shots. I was not able to justify it.

7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I see a lot of these guys sleeping at truck stops.
    And there not pumping no where near enough fuel
    To get all the benefits.

8. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Two of the truck stops will give 1/2 shower credit for 25gal. most likely will run enough miles to earn a shower.

9. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    I have never run hot shot, nor was I ever interested in doing so. Yes you can spend less to get started, than class 8. But you just can’t earn as much as a full size TT. Judging by the condition of hot shot rigs I see on the road, it doesn’t look like they’re making money.

I think the exception is a hot shot fleet owned by a factory, which make things that are compatible with a light weight truck. Pickup truck caps and canoes come to mind. And with their specialized trailers, no opportunity for a back haul. So rather low pay, for a truck that costs almost as much as a class 8 to run. Remember when the cost of entry is low, you will have competition that runs cheap, just to make the payment every month. And hot shot companies that watch out for their profits, before yours.

I’ve also seen trucks that weren’t built to haul commercial loads, and repairs can be very expensive when it comes to lightweight diesels and transmissions running at close to their capacities.

My main reason for never considering hot shots is safety. Trailers swaying down the road, loads that look too heavy, long trailers, that seem just too big for the pickup trucks pulling them. I do understand that the ratings say you’re good to go, but the reality on the roads is a lot more that a ratings label.

My motto “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”.

tech10171968 Thanks this.
  10. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Gonzo, what you’re talking about has been a problem in the trucking industry from day one. MOST people who have a good thing going will either be tight lipped about it, or talk what they’re doing down to people entertaining the idea of getting into it. They’ll tell you things like, they’re going broke, how miserable it is, etc.

And then you have others in the industry that are looking for people to use who will tell you it’s better than it actually is to get you signed up or leased on.

There’s very few straight shooters in the trucking industry. It’s been that way since the beginning.

I ran semi trucks most of my life and after running Hotshot trucks now for 15/16 yrs I’ll never go back to semi trucks. Here’s the thing though, it’s my experience running semi trucks for many years that allows me to see the benefit of running a hotshot truck. Most new guys to trucking, they just aren’t able to see the benefits. And here’s the thing, there’s a lot of guys out there that will never do very well in either type of trucks. Trucking isn’t for everybody, it never has been.

I know it can be very difficult for somebody that’s never been a Owner Operator but you have to do the math comparing both trucks. The problem you’re faced with is, who are you going to trust to give you the straight truth with regards to load rates, and operating costs on both types of rigs? And even if you have those figures, will you be able to replicate the same figures running your own truck? Maybe, maybe not. Trucking can be a very tough business, even for guys who have been at it for years.

How are you going to find the right people to get accurate information from? Anyone that you’ve talked with, who you feel is a straight shooter. They will likely have a history of giving solid advice. Read through some of their old posts going as far back as you can. There’s a handful of guys here in the Hotshot part of this forum that have a long history of being a straight shooter. Lite bug is one of those guys.

Quest4ADV and Gonzo1300 Thank this.
  11. Gonzo1300

Sep 30, 2013
    Flatbedcarrier. I am very fortunate to have my dad for example who just retired last year as an owner operator and two other friends 1 as a lease purchase driver and the other is an owner-operator with all Class 8 trucks. Of course my insurance will be higher but on my figures as far as operating cost I'm within two or three cent with the figures that I have went over with two of those where I would be at and of course Fuel per mile being fluid. Of course Freight for Class 8 trucks is there of course not always what you want it to pay but in my eyes you have always been looking for an average per mile a month not per load. Hot shot on the other hand of course load Payless and loads are less available and I'm comfortable I'm within $0.05 per mile figuring on a 8000 Mile month. The only reason I am still on the fence about which one to proceed with because I roughly only have 3 months left running for this company that I am driving for now is I know what it's going to cost me per mile to operate a hot shot but I have no clue on what is actually available as far as Lowe's that is not all taken up by every bigger company that's out there if I do not lease on with someone. Quite frankly for me if I'm looking at a average per month of 35 Cent per mile profit for a month I would either just drive a company Class 8 truck or just go into class 8 driving. I'm looking at putting back something for retirement now not just living paycheck-to-paycheck LOL. I got one of my babies through college already and another one has two years to go so I have not done bad but it is kind of time to think about me and my wife. I like to be pretty much over informed if I'm putting that much of a stake into doing something instead of under informed. But you guys are right no matter who you talk to as far as on these forums for the most part no matter what part of the industry you choose to be in it's all doom and gloom and you don't stand a chance go find something else but yet you see all these trucks running around

Quest4ADV Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.