hotshot pa state inspections requirements

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by hotshotladydriver, Oct 13, 2018.

1. hotshotladydriver

hotshotladydriver Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I am trying to get my pickup inspected and I am hitting a wall. There is no bed on it. I know I need wheel fenders, but the two inspection stations I took it to say it has to have a bed on it. I have a gooseneck trailer and an apportioned plate for the truck. Half of those I talk to say it should not need a bed, the other half say it should have at least a flat bed on it. I am not talking about the dot inspection, I am talking about the pa truck inspection. Any information anyone could give me? Fenders for a dually pickup are about 500.00 and flat bed is about 3000.00 out the door price. Thanks for any help. I guess what I really need to know is who does hotshot truck inspections near Pittsburgh Pa.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Just get some good angle iron and lumber, build your own flatbed. Plenty of truck owners in NW PA do this when the original bed rusts out completely. Totally legal, and inspectable.

If your inspection station gives you issue over this, you live too far East or South.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Pennsylvania is a fickle state with our safety inspections. I have been a PA inspection mechanic since 1992. The stations that are requiring a bed a technically correct unless you have done the reconstructed vehicle title process.

PA has title branding, yours is most likely still a pickup or TK not tractor TT. This means it must have a body on it to pass state inspection.

Technically PA requires the reconstructed title and MV-426 inspection simply to have a 5th wheel hitch installed in a pickup truck.

Finding a station to look the other way will be difficult -they will lose their station license and the mechanic can lose his driver license for fraudulent inspections, and since you will be hotshotting you are likely to be inspected roadside by a Trooper that knows the rules. Most of the Troopers that monitor and certify the state inspection stations also work as motor carrier officers.

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Out of curiosity, would installing a deck plate on the frame constitute a flat bed?

I realize it’s on a couple feet wide, but i guess you could still technically tie stuff down to it.

6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    And they are tough about rust compared to most places. Right across the state line from me in Broome county ny I'm amazed at what passes for inspection.

Half the old quarry pickups around here have the angle iron/wood combo. I'd go that route myself.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I would give that to you, as long as it has functional fenders, proper taillights and you fashioned some sort of rear bumper piece for when not hauling the trailer.

It is easier in PA to have a flatbed or stake pocket body than a bare chassis when using a pickup truck as a hauler. There is so safety rationale behind it, other than rear bumper crash protection for someone rearending you.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    My god with the number of used custom flat beds out there, just get one for $500 and put it on there. Problem solved.

9. Tlauden

Tlauden Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Find a lick and stick inspection station... every town here in PA has one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.