Hotshot Questions Answered....

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by MP-Ctek, May 26, 2016.

1. 33 Trucker

33 Trucker Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2018
    That is some very helpful information, Thank you very much.

Im pretty new in moving hotshot loads we run 2 3500 dodge 3500 quadcabs with 1 40 foot flat and 1 36 foot flat.

I have a couple of questions maybe you can help me out with.

whats the permitted overhang from these would you know, ive gotten several opinions?

Who are the best brokers to work with for hotshot loads? are loadboards a decent option and if so which are the best for hotshots?

How is the best way to negotiate the rates and what can we base them on? i want to know if were doing alright or leaving some money on the table i know it all depends on the routes but any intelligent insight is very helpfull and greatly appreciated.

If you can help me out with this information i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very mcuh.

2. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Hard to turn down these loads?

3. namelessend

namelessend Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I`m looking to move from OTR Big rigs to OTR hot shots. I will have a year OTR in roughly two months so im doing research now. Im trying to narrow down the truck list, Im looking at the 3500 MC DRW at your advice, does a actual model matter? Big horn, Laramie, LH Laramie matter? What about tires? Any special one you find that does the best? Some might find tires to be not be a big deal, but when you run 2K miles a week, tires can become a huge matter.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Run 22.5 wheels and tires, same as the ones on the semis..
    Google it, plenty of options out there

5. namelessend

Apr 13, 2018
    I would worry about rolling mass and such, that would change the rear end ratios more then likely and throw everything out of whack. And MP, what rear end ratios are you running in your trucks? 4.10 or 3.73?

6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    People will have different opinions on tires. I use Transforce by Firestone. They are inexpensive and you can get them at a lot of places. A good tire.

namelessend Thanks this.
  7. namelessend

Apr 13, 2018
    I was actually on the phone talking to a friend of mine who runs maintenance for a company, he runs the same tires on all their fleet trucks to so that must be saying something.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. TexasHarleyBoy

TexasHarleyBoy Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2018
    What a great trove of advice and info for those of us considering this route! Thank you for taking the time and effort to compose this. With over 30 years of driving a company truck, I'm trying to get things lined up to pull the trigger on becoming a small business owner, running a 40' hotshot operation.

Like the say, 'you've GOT to risk it, for the biscuit'!

flatbedcarrier and Lite bug Thank this.
  9. bturner

bturner Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Hi my name is bryan and I’m currently driving over the road for a company but I’m looking to start my own business doing hot shot loads. What’s the chances you guys can contact me with some answers that might help me out. I read your response and you guys seem very nolegable about what needs to be done. It’s hard to get answers out of the guys I see at truck stops. They seem to think completion is a bad thing. Anyways my email is Bryan.turner83@gmail.com any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. strikertransport

strikertransport Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    This is an old but great post. Thx MP..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.