Hotshots Requesting Accurate Info From DOT Officers Who May be Here...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by SMBdriver, Dec 27, 2011.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008

Don't kiss my arse. Look if a guy is polite and decent that goes a long way with me. I get enough that want to act like a jerk.

SMBdriver and mikeshauling Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselbear

Oct 18, 2008
    I've been around trucking my whole life. My uncle drove over 40 years, my father, half of that. Summer vacations off of school was spent in a 3 story sheet house mack running loads. I wasn't the one per say on the other end with a officer, but I saw how my family was treated badly by a few. I also saw how they were treated decent by the majority. I try to treat the guy the best I can. His demeanor and attitude dictate how that goes.

As far as screwing with you over off duty time, I don't. I look at your logs, they are what they are at roadside. When I go in on a compliance with an auditor, that's where they find issues sometimes with what driver's log. Supporting documents are sometimes obtained at roadside, but they are all there for an audit. It's easy at roadside to tell me to pack sand, not so much on an audit.

4. mikeshauling

mikeshauling Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2011
    So. ILLINOIS
    I dont run super long distances for the most part. Im home most nights, so my log book isnt that hard to look at and deal with.

I know i should keep it a little neater, because ive been told so during a stop.

I am sure i have logged incorrectly on a few occasions due to the way some of my loads go.

I deliver pools on specialty trailers and sometimes there are reasons that i have to just drop the trailer at the jobsite and head home.

This is done in my dually P/U , i have a question for ya DB.. If i haul a load to a site lets say, 400 miles from home, then i end up having to unhook from my trailer due to a crane not being available to get there that day. I would drive home, no trailer, just me in my P/U. Would i be considered off duty ? Would i be required to log a trip back home or wherever i decide to go ?

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  5. SMBdriver

SMBdriver Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2010
    I've been on both ends of this particular equation and I have to agree that when I stopped people and they were decent (even if they were mad about getting stopped but not being a problem child, so to speak) we got along fine. When I stopped people and they insisted on doing things the hard way, that's the way I played it out.

When I get pulled in now for an inspection I understand it's nothing personal. It's the officer's job and I won't give them a hard time for doing exactly what they're supposed to do. I haven't met a DOT guy yet who acted anything other than professional. Having said that, I worked with a couple of guys (city cops) who could be real a-holes so I assume there are some out there in the DOT world who can be as well. I don't feel the need to test them to see if I can bring out the worst in them but I can tell you that acting like a horses rear end when you do get stopped is a sure-fire way to accomplish that particular feat.

truckon and dieselbear Thank this.
  6. dieselbear

Oct 18, 2008

Do you run for yourself or a carrier? Personal conveyance could be an option, but that is left to a lot of interpretation. Regulation book states it is to be used for short distances. If your headed back to pick up another load, you definately need to log it. I'm taking it your dualie is over 10K. If it were me driving 400 miles, I would log it. If I was going to the motel, wal-mart or resturant that was nearby you could definately claim personal conveyance. I would contact the State's you run in and get their opinion. Until their is a clear cut definition of personal conveyance you are left to a lot of different opinions.

7. mikeshauling

mikeshauling Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2011
    So. ILLINOIS
    I am a carrier myself. My 09 1 ton dually is my work truck and work truck also.
    I wouldnt be heading back to get a load but just heading home in this example.
    I try to log every mile i run like this, however, sometimes when my logs and miles to home wont line up by a few hours , i end up logging off duty and hitting the house.

I usually end up spending the night to get unloaded the next morning but it doesnt always work out like this. A friday delivery that gets cancelled for some reason and wont be done til monday isnt enough reason for me to stay all weekend.

This is the type of situation i have been a few times. I have just logged off duty when my time is up and drove another hour or 2 to the house.

I think since im in a 1 ton, its easily overlooked by the DOT.

As far as calling the states to get info,,,haha, good luck.
    I am in a grey area to most offices i call.

I am not apportioned yet because i have a good luck staying loaded with lower weights ...

When i called to get my apportioned plates and IRP taken care of, they told me i had to report EVERY MILE, even the miles i was off duty. I specifically asked them what about going to the store or on vacations ,,,,,,They said yes , i had to report those miles also...LOL, ya right , like thats gonna happen.

I tried to tell them i have a pickup not a semi....they said it didnt matter !!!

Of course i live in the REPUBLIC OF ILLINOIS , so that says alot about the state offices that i have to deal with !!! LOL

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    This has often been debated . I don't recall seeing personal conveyance being mentioned in the regulation book at all , only in guidance posts and internet FAQ's by the FMCSA . Could you please settle this and quote the exact regulation stating personal conveyance must be used for short distances .

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    DieselBear answered the question showing the right to ask for the receipts and the regulation it falls under . What you didn't ask and what wasn't addressed was what action does an officer have authority to take if a receipt can't be produced .
    The receipt should only be used to document you were in that location at the time shown on your log . Lack of receipt should not result in the driver being cited or put OOS . Once logged off duty the driver is exempt from FMCSR .

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    O.K. , how about this ? When you file your taxes the IRS wants to know if a percentage of your vehicle use was for personal use . You must have a record of this . Keep some kind of notebook in your truck . When you decide to go off duty note the mileage in your records as beginning personal use .

11. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    These folks ask the same question over and over again? Police can ask for whatever they want, you are only required to show logbook,cab card,insurance,ifta, inspection form, med card,daily inspection and bol if loaded. If you keep these close and NOT intermigled with with eveything else
    You more than likely won't be asked for anything else. If you feel compelled to
    have all these unnessacary papers on your dash at least have enough sense to make the times match your logbook or invest in some cheap scissors and cut the date/time part off. Or better yet pratice your stupid look and when they ask for receipts you reply with am I supposed to have them?

Sure you can use your truck for personal use. I do all the time but if i'm over a 100 miles from home and have trailer hooked I have a logbook page going just in case. Now I would say personal use but have the logbook for backup.
    As to IRP, Ifta and truck use, I make my logbook miles match my ifta, irp and load sheets so I have I all the supporting documents I need.

From all I have seen personally I don't believe any of this is about safety at all. Thats just the hand job beaurcrats are giving the public. In over five years I have had over thirty inspections of different kinds and only had one officer note the right type of brakes I have on my setup. This would indicate either poor training, laziness or just plain stupid. This is the stuff this worthless csa crap is about false data created just to creaet more jobs for incompentent people so we all can feel safe. Next thing that moron ray lahood will try to tell us is the easter bunny is real.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.