Hours and schedule for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chovy, Jan 21, 2022.

1. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Waking up early in OTR isn’t bad. Instead of showering, getting dressed up, then driving to work you just roll out of bed and walk 3 feet to the drivers seat

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya, I used to commute 45 each way to work. Now it’s 15 seconds.

Six9GS Thanks this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm a Swiftie also,, but as opposed to Moosetek13, I do reefer and generally abhor dry van loads, although on occasion I'll end up running one or a couple.
    Reefer loads generally will have tighter schedules than dry van loads, but seldom get one that doesn't have enough slack in the timing that I have to run nights. I personally don't like night driving. Regardless, it is common for reefer loads to have nighttime pick ups and deliveries. I usually make it work in a way that minimizes my night driving. Swift really only gives me the pick up time and place and the delivery time and place. I figure out the plan to get between the two in that time frame, which usually isn't too difficult. As a reefer jockey, you get pretty good at managing your clock and using sleeper berth splits to add flexibility to everything.
    Biggest thing I think I can add is that alot of this you won't really know and understand and figure out what works for you and how to meet the needs of everything until you start doing it. I had all kinds of theories and complicated thoughts about trip planning and such before I started. Once I started doing it, I found it to be quite different, to include being easier and simpler than I imagined beforehand. Those complicated trip plans I envisioned before I started didn't account for unexpected things happening and were pretty rigid. When the reality is trip planning is much more general, less specific and evolves and develops day by day. It's not hard.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    You walk? I just sort of stumble. The advantage of living in a truck is you are always right there and there's no such thing as a commute. The disadvantage is you are always right there and there's no such thing as a commute.

6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Let’s get real. You don’t like getting up early and have a sleep disorder. Trucking is not for you. Find another path to riches.

7. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Having sleep disorder and not liking getting up at all, let alone early, still trucking))

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    If you were in the military, you did what the sargeant told you, regardless of time of day. Bootcamp is a good example, rise and shine early, cut your restroom break to a minimum, be in the chow line at 5 am, finish chow by 530 am, jog 5 mi by 630 am, march, march, march, read your manual, march more, shine your boots, oh yeah, I forgot the part wher you have the "watch" at 2 am for 2 hours, anyway I digress. So trucking is a 24/7 business and you the driver will have to "adjust" your schedule to accomidate the trucking co. needs. You may have to sleep during the day at times instead of driving or roll out of bed at 4 am to make your delivery. I suggest re-considering your decision to get into trucking.

TripleSix and Rugerfan Thank this.
  9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Well, if you work it right you'll never pull a watch at night.
    All it takes is being one of the company staff.
    And the best job there is out of all of them, is assistant squad leader.

That is the last position to be assigned because it is the least important with the fewest duties.
    It is the best position because it is the least important with the fewest duties, but it still gets you all the perks.
    Perks like no watch at night, first in and last out of the mess...

So, I waited through the whole process until that position came up, then up went my hand.
    My higher score on the ASVAB got me the position, just as it did with all the people before me.

Learning the system you are going to be working under and being able to use it to your advantage is key, both in boot camp and in trucking.

MidWest_MacDaddy and Six9GS Thank this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Same here. My boots are always right there on the floor. So it's always an awkward stumble and then I kind of just fall into the seat... after I hit my head on the overheat compartments.

11. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    People are putting boots on in the cab? Weird world)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.