Hours of service question

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Carolina Junkman, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Carolina Junkman

Carolina Junkman Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Greenville, SC
    A few questions
    1. Does your pre-trip, fueling, load and unload time count against your 70, or is it actually 70 hours of driving?
    2. If your tired, regardless of reason, and take a nap to stay safe, are you just screwed out of that time no matter what?
    3. What do y’all do if you get sick on the road? Ride it out in the cab? I’m not talking about something that warrants hospital, I mean bad cold, flu, etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Anything in lines 3 or 4 counts against your 70. So yes, loading, unloading, pretrip and fuel should count against your 70. As far as napping, if you need to nap, TAKE ONE! Jeez!

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    "Napping" time is not necessarily going to "hurt you" in regards to your clock management. Just depends on how often and how long you might nap in a day. In some cases, a nap might cause you to miss an appointment or hit traffic at a bad time, then cause additional time lost so you have to be smart about time management if you are going to be successful, especially in the OTR trucking segment.

How one deals with illness will affect what happens if they become ill on the road. Some can suck up pretty bad feeling and power through, some can't. At larger companies, often they can arrange a load swap if your load really needs to move, regardless.

IluvCATS and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    yes it counts at part of your 70...
    as soon as you go to line 3 or 4 starts your 14 hr clock. the only thing that will stop it is a 8 hr in the sleeper {split sleeper) or a 10 hr break
    it's up to YOU if you feel safe driving or not. if YOU feel safe driving then drive and if YOU DON'T then park the truck. you and ONLY YOU can decide that..

IluvCATS and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    As far a getting ill on the road and how and where to "ride it out"..
    It all depends on the severity of your bug AND your company.

Most companies do NOT pay for hotel rooms except for breakdown situations.
    So, you'd be holed up inside your cab with a trash can to hurl into.. and a 2nd one for explosive deposits that you don't think you can make it inside for.
    This type of situation is awful. If it were me, I'd go into pocket and get my own room for the comfort and amenities. I am very fortunate to work for an outfit that pays for rooms whenever... no Qs asked.. for a 34 or just because you didn't feel like sleeping in the truck.
    These employers are RARE.

One thing to remember. When you do get over your bug, clean and disinfect that cab... wash your bed clothes... don't take a chance on catching it again over a can of Lysol and some quarters in a washer and dryer.

In 30 years I've only been really sick... REALLY SICK... twice on the road.

Get off of the road. Hole up. You're a danger to yourself and to others.
    The DOT will put you OOS for it and cite you for it.

There is a difference between SICK and NOT FEELING FOOD.

You have to know what that is.

Pumpkin Oval Head and IluvCATS Thank this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I don’t get sick. Strange. I think it’s because I’m isolated from all the sick people. I’m in a bubble.

I take a nap for safety. I always feel better and able to finish out my goal for that day.

You have 14 hours to complete 11 hours of driving. So that leaves you with 3 extra hours to do other things like on-duty work or off duty napping. You will therefore not be penalized for napping.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    This depends on the company. Western Express wanted you to remain on duty even if your napping in the sleeper.

9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I doubt that. I’m not saying u are lying but that’s pretty unbelievable. I wish someone in operations at my company would even TRY that on me.

flood and jammer910Z Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I assume you're referring to times when you might be at a dock being loaded? This is subjective and unless I knew there was never a remote chance of ever getting near a 70 limit, and therefore had lots of clock time to burn (which may be the case at WE), I would challenge them on this practice. Make them prove you were in fact "working".

lovesthedrive and IluvCATS Thank this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    One time I was on the dock long enough, I pulled off, got 4 more hours in the berth and reset my 14 hour with a full 10 being on their dock. Dispatch allowed it. Safety didnt like it yet accepted it. Sent me a nasty note for it. Delivered load on time and everyone was happy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.