Hours of service questions and answers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yep... during emergencies, HOS rules can be suspended. I'd heard that was the case in ND because of the cold... not sure about OK.

jimjam38 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    But would an emergency consist of "We don't have enough hands and to many rigs to cover" be valid. We have a truck pusher with a class A who won't climb into a truck. Additionally this company is bad about promising the rigs a whole bunch of stuff that wears us drivers out. They have already been audited by dot once I know of and were told about the 70 hour violations (myself personally had over 200 hours in a two week period with one restart) the other day a driver in another yard was hit by a train and was killed. If the other yards were working like we are this guy was flat out exhausted

4. jimjam38

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Friend of mine found the new fmscr regulations for download on the internet is there a link available for this?

5. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
  6. jimjam38

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Ok so now I have gotten the 24 hour restart taken care of I have another issue and this is causing a row with other drivers at work. My understanding is you have 14 consecutive hours on duty during which you can only drive a max of 11. After 14 to drive again you have to have a 10 hour restart to be able to drive unless you have hit 70 then you need a 34 hour restart (or 24 for oilfield) here is the issue drivers are saying they don't have to do a thing after 14 until they have a10 hour break. I said you can still work on duty not driving as long as before you drive you have the restart in affect we have drivers who stop at 14 but if there is any non driving stuff to be done they won't do it. Our mechanics both have cdls and are saying they are to follow the 14/70 rule because they don't want to mess up their records. Add long as they don't drive a CMV they should be good to go right? We tried getting our pusher to check this out but his take is keep going and when asked about the rules he claims to not know so I said the heck with it I would get some final say on this. I read part 395 and if I read it correctly a person could say work over their 70 provided they did not drive a cmv

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Simple.

If you have exceeded the 14 hour rule, you must take a 10 hour break BEFORE you can drive a commercial vehicle again.

If over your 70 hour rule, you must take a break to get hours back BEFORE you can drive a commercial vehicle again.

You can drive 11 hours and hit your 14 hour limit and then work on the dock for 5 hours. You are not driving a commercial vehicle until the breaks come into play.

8. trucsugma5

trucsugma5 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
  9. trucsugma5

trucsugma5 Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Morrison, Co
    what about the 16 hr rule? I believe it says something like: once a week, if you drove back to the same place of origin for the past 5 consecutive workdays days, you can extend the 14 by 2 hours in order to return home.

10. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    If you are going on break, like off for the weekend, as soon as you get back and you still can't exceed 11 hours driving if I remember right.

11. jimbre7

jimbre7 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Hello, hopefully someone can help me with this question. I work in a non-driving position for a manufacturing company. I have a CDL, so in an attempt to pick up more hours over the weekends, I'm going to start running expedited loads for my company. My question is, after working a full 8 hour day as "on-duty, not driving," how many driving hours can I log and still be on the right side of DOT and my log book? Most of my runs would be 10-11hr round trips, not including dock time.
    Also, these loads would be going out Fridays, and I would only do one load a week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.