Hours of service

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Davehrose1, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Davehrose1

Davehrose1 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    So I typically work an overnight shift and had an issue with my eld not dropping off hours that I thought should have been dropped Perhaps Im wrong and would like some advice here.
    The following is a close example to what I worked last week

Sun 6pm -6am Mon
    Mon 6pm- 6am Tues
    tues 6pm-5am Wed
    Weds 6pm- 5am
    Thurs 6pm-5am
    Fri off (not for 34 hours)
    Sat 2pm-10pm Sat
    That total 65 hours over the week without a reset
    So when I came in Sun at 8pm I really only had 5 hours to reach the 70 but shouldn't the hours from last Sunday have dropped off at Midnight giving me hours after midnight to continue to drive. We run the 70/8 rule. My office says everyone needs a 34 hour reset. My eld didn't give me the hours and told me I was in violation.

Thanks for your help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Been a long time since I've worked with recap hours, but if I'm understanding your post correctly, then you wouldn't get hours back till 12:00 AM monday.

4. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Recap hours come back to you a week and a day later, so Sunday hours come back to you Monday, Monday hours Tuesday and so on.

gentleroger and Kyle G. Thank this.
  5. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Also, hours come.back to you based on the timezone your company uses, so if your company is in central time and you are in Eastern time you won't get any hours back until the day changes in Central time, or 01:00 Eastern.

Davehrose1, gentleroger and Kyle G. Thank this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    My question is... who decided you need to come back in after only 33 hours off?
    I'm not saying it wasn't out of necessity, but, somebody couldn't figure out a way to stretch another hour to give you a 34 hour reset???

7. Davehrose1

Davehrose1 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    That was my mistake

gentleroger, Kyle G. and Grumppy Thank this.
  8. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

Not being USA resident I can't help with the question but I am interested in the above reply re time zones. Here in Europe the clocks in the lorries always have to be set to the time zone in which the vehicle is registered, so leaving Ireland or Portugal in the west that is GMT+0 and includes the UK, but the moment we cross the Channel into France and then on east to Russia, or Turkey and beyond time zone changes have to be kept in mind regarding loading and delivering time but the lorry always has to be set to London time.

Does that work in the same way in the USA and Canada?

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    the company sets it's time frame and everyone uses the home terminal time so a California company's trucks on the east coast will be 3 hours [3 time zones] behind the actual east coast time...deliver at 8am eastern time but the log time shows it is 5am.

confusing, NO?

Kyle G. and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  10. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

I see thanks, the same system we have in Europe them, no need to change the in cab time as long as you remember where you are regarding the local, to you, time for your reload or whatever. Better than remembering to alter a clock in the cab though. ;-)

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  11. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Everybody remember, DST starts this Sunday morning(3/10) and we move clocks forward 1 hour. Of course there are a few who don't, you know who you are.

gentleroger and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.