Household Movers Guide Miles vs. Paid Miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Clintonstain, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    I never would have believed it, but Towns & City's are the same distance for 100 years. The employer doubts that. More profit for them, it's all good. This software shows 117.7 miles. My GPS shows 142.2 miles. And then it's on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I still remember the last company that sent me to another town to pick up. Said it was only 10 miles and was 50. Told them I would only drive the 10, better bring the shipper closer.

4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    One big problem that I think is overlooked is whether or not the zip codes are accurate.

I drove for a mega carrier when I started. I had one load going to Urbana, IL from the west. About a year later. I got a load to Champaign, IL. Customer sounded familiar. Thought maybe they moved. Nope. Still in Urbana at the same location off the same exit. I argued it, but the load planners just simply said 'it's in Champaign, so we pay to Champaign'... even when you goggled the customer it came up as an Urbana address.

Meanwhile, I'm out the $10 or so for it.

Now, that's underhanded. And as long as they don't pay practical, they can get away with that.

5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Zip codes are one of the major problems--especially as smaller communities have lost their post office--and new businesses move into rural areas--then are assigned to a postal facility the next town over and due to their address the are given what should be the wrong zip code--lots of that here in PA--where they are building warehouses on cornfields--in areas where the local post office has been closed for quite awhile--and assigned an address with a towns zip code 20+miles away----
    As for pc miler--one thing you really need to check is routing--many times you will be surprised(even w/53'truck practical--the routing it uses
    Just Sayin

6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas

You make take a bow sir....that's exactly how I handle my tank business. If they're not paying for it then they don't get it. ( written down for billing )

Ironic too, I got called in to billing awhile back. Gal said hey this account needs 50' of hose....you didn't write any down....what happened? I told her that the carrier doesn't pay me to string out hose..........and she says "so"? So I don't write it down.........I mean you're not going to bill for a service and not pay me....are you?

Well no, of course not....... good I said, we're all done......anything else? Uhm no......( poor thing looked totally dumbfounded ) Absolutely priceless!

Lady K and Roadmedic Thank this.
  7. passingtrucker

passingtrucker Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Diamond Bar, California
    If they're shorting you $10 a week, multiply that by 50 (there's 52 weeks in a year), that's $500 a year they pocket as extra revenue. This is why they use HMG, in spite we now have Google Maps, Mapquest, Yahoo Maps, and others to calculate distance. They exploit the fact you're a newbie driver with less than a year's driving experience, and the private fleets (Walmart Distribution, Kroger, etc...) who pay by the hour (with overtime after 8 hours) require at least one year of driving experience with a clean MV record.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.