How big of a dozer can I haul?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have a 53’ Fontaine steel step deck spread with a dovetail and ramps that rest on the ground at the back of the dovetail and support the rear of the trailer when loading. I can scale around 44k. How big of a dozer can I haul? A D6R weighs 40k. Weight wise it should not put me over weight but I have never seen anything that large hauled on anything but a RGN. This won’t be a one time thing we are looking at buying a dozer but we don’t want to have to get a different trailer. Basically we want to get as big of machine as we can haul with what we have without it being a white knuckle experience. I have hauled tracked machines before but nothing over about 22k.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Lower that center of gravity, that is where the RGN comes in.

If youre wanting to run the big stuff, put that step deck away and get a RGN. You have to get that lower center of gravity. The rest of it we can hammer out later.

I had a 52000 pound coil that was about 24 feet 8 high on my Ravens a few times. Even now I reach for the likker just thinking about it. Whoo that's not a load for the weak.

Zeviander, tucker and Hurst Thank this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Big question is what shape is your trailer in. And NO I'm not trying to insinuate anything simply asking.

How big of a dozer you can haul is actually going to be "your call", only you know what you and your equipment is capable of.

As a Operating Engineer ( local 132 ) I will say this..... steel against steel needs to be respected, lot of things can go wrong. Especially when loading / unloading.
    Be safe out there.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Tb0n3, Oxbow, tony97905 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    On my Fontaine Infinity the heaviest tracked machine I have hauled weighed 54k. Loaded and off loaded from a loading dock and site had a steel ramp. About 84-85k gross for me.

Heaviest track machines I have loaded up my ramps were 42k lbs. CAT 963 track loader and Komatsu D61.

I don't think I need to emphasize this too much. But when loading the machine up your ramps. Line it up before you start to climb. You do not want to be making adjustments while climbing or especially at the tipping point before it comes down on the deck. Let it land flat, then straighten it out.

Check your height. Lock it down safely and take your time. I've done a lot of them.

Hurst

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Hurst understands ^^^^^^

Having the trailer level ( side to side) plays a big part as well. If you ever try to load a rubber tired machine with wet muddy tires you will do some thinking as well :).

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    A little over a year ago I finally bought a brace for the rear of my trailer. This helped stabilize loading tremendously. Previously trailer would sag and flex when loading heavy up the ramps. The brace under the DOT bumper stopped this and its a night and day difference.

I have another one now for my MAC and its set up better than my Fontaine,.. but ironically I'm doing a lot more steel and different machinery and not as much equipment as I was before.

Hurst

x1Heavy and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    You will have to see what your concentrated weight rating is. I don't care what other people say the step won't hold up as well as an rgn will if your going to be hauling the (big) dozers on a regular basis. An rgn is built for the weight sitting on the outside rails. A step isnt. If you go with rgn, do yourself a favor an go with hydraulic 51 or 55 ton rgn. Dont waist your time with a mech neck 35 ton. Can you haul a D6 on your step? Probably, but in my opinion it isn't smart to do. If your just buying a dozer for your own use and just going to move it every now and then like the one you stated you will be fine with the step.

10. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I'm with @superhauler that dozer on a regular basis is going to beat the brakes off your trailer, assuming that's your money maker you may not want to go that route...

I guess it all boils down to how often do you plan to move your machine? Are you doing paid work with it?

Do you have other equipment?

Oxbow, Crusader66, SAR and 5 others Thank this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    OP...you might check your weight too. If the Cat has ROPS, a blade, a winch, or scarifiers it's going to be heavier than you think.
    I agree with the other guys about the trailer. It's really easy to over-stress a highway trailer, especially when loading or unloading something heavy and tracked.
    If you're not going to move it very often or very far, hire somebody with an RGN.
    If you're going to be moving it often, look into getting your own RGN.

10speed4me and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.