How can I get better reception on my CB radio?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by expedite_it, Oct 25, 2020.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Saw this vid before but forgotten about it till now..tks..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chattduck

Chattduck Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2013
    North Ga
    I agree that the path of least resistance can give issues, but assuming good rf ground, less than optimum coax will cause a lower swr reading at the radio.

Example 1
    New good quality belden rg8x attenuation 2.0 db/100ft, or 0.36 db/18ft. Swr 1.5 at antenna, radio puts out 10 watts.
    Now with the coax installed, radio sends 10 watts down the coax, 9.2 watts hit the antenna, 0.368 watts are reflected, 0.339 watts are returned to the swr meter at the radio.
    Example 2
    Now take same antenna and radio and stick in that truckstop coax that you have been mashing in the door jam for 5 years. Easily double the loss of new Belden, so 0.72 dbi/18ft. That's being very generous.
    Radio sends 10 watts down the wire, 8.4 watts hit the antenna, 0.336 reflected back, 0.282 watts make it back to the swr meter.
    The coax that I just removed from my truck was easily 3 times worse than this example.
    As you know, the lossy coax will probably have an impedance mismatch as well, making things worse and much more complicated. But in the end, poor coax will show a lower swr at the transceiver.
    Just follow the science man, follow the science, lol. Funny, someone reading this 5 years from now may realize that we are in the middle of a controversial election and have no idea who our president will be come January 20.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I think you miss the point.

I am not going to explain antenna theory in a mobile application but will say that what you are trying to achieve is a balanced system by using an unbalanced feed-line and a ground system that creates balanced feed-line and radiator system that can adjust to the varying relationship of the vehicle to the earth ground.

Going forward, there is an issue with most trucks, and many other vehicles, it lacks the RF GROUND to make a balanced system. This is where the coax starts to act as a radiator of the other half of the balanced system.

So as I posted before, people put too much emphasis in Standing Wave Ratio, and up to the say late 1950's, it wasn't used to indicate feed-line/radiator efficiency or anything because it wasn't an accurate means to show anything other than a assumption of efficiency while RF voltage and current was and still is a good judge of efficiency.

SWR is really meaningless when it drops below 2.5:1 in CB systems.

5. Chattduck

Chattduck Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2013
    North Ga
    There you have it. And, well never mind.

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Never mind what?

go read w2du articles, he puts a good light on all of it.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Ridge....Not that im anywhere near your level of understanding but i have been sayin for ages that swr aint the end all be all that everyone thinks..

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    A blood pressure cuff is not the end all be all either but it's a fine tool to have on your nightstand

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    My SWR was at 3.5, reception was short distance. I removed Freightliner factory dual side mount. Made a SS mount ,,,used heavier coax and now SWR at 1.5, transmits and receives much better. I know squat about this stuff but usually surmise issue to be a poor ground due to corrosion.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I know, some don’t understand what it actually means and how it works, and I am not saying to those who have a good match that it doesn’t matter but rather that this is one step towards a better antenna system.

just for sh**** and giggles, here is something people should be looking at, RF current to the antenna.

why?

because for decades it was and still is a very useful measurement.

11. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes grounds are important but there is a difference between an rf ground which is used to complete an antenna circuit and a Dc ground. People need to understand the relationship of each to build the system.

as I was reading the other day on another forum, there was a question of what a dipole system really is and how it works. If you understand how it does work in a mobile application, then you have a clear idea how an rf ground works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.