How can i get my husband, who rides with me on the road, to learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by krissie, Oct 9, 2018.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    you just have to act like every other driver trainer. Be verbally abusive. Treat him like a 2nd logbook. interrupt his off duty periods to make him do menial tasks like sweep the trailer. Engage him in a dysfunctional relationship. Let him know you are monitoring his every move both in and out of the sleeper. Instruct him to speak to nobody at all when going into public places like the truck stop. make him put up with your own disgusting habits such as (insert here). Force him to run illegally and scream at him for ridiculous, petty things. Bonus points if you're exceedingly polite for a few minutes, and then a raging psychopath the next. Best driver trainers I ever had abused the s*** out of me and I am a better person for it. And he will be too, if you know how to abuse him the right way. Simply gently abuse this tender young man, and put him down, and scream at him to let his foot off the clutch or else you're gonna stab him in the face directly. And he will quickly become the best driver you ever had. You have got to whip that boy into shape. you need to make him a total subordinate, in constant fear of his life and his job. you need to do things that warrant disciplinary action by management, and then blame it on him. This is what every good OTR driver trainer does and it can never be any other way. Please , for the love of God. If you deviate from this procedure you will have destroyed a time-honored and cherished tradition of turning young terrified men into surly, tobacco-chewing amphetamine-addicted adderal-induced multiple-fatality-accident-avoiding Professionals. That, and The Smith System. You can never have enough Smith System. Aim high. Leave yourself an out. Lie to the police and commit a felony. Get the f*** out of there before the police can blame it on you. This is just how it was meant to be. EDIT : also force him to urinate into spent gatorade bottles and save a large stockpile of it in the sleeper. You never know when you'll need a gallon of stale urine. you might be running out of DEF in the middle of nowhere one night and you'll be glad you saved that uric acid.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: bottle of urine
    Brettj3876 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    I don't know...my wife was wanting to learn to drive our truck but then I went through a small town in Ohio with some seriously tight turns in it...that ended that idea right there. Some people are not cut out for driving big trucks and maybe your husband is one of them. Has he tried to drive in an empty parking lot or something? Sometimes a little time behind the wheel can spark a dream.

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    My swift trainer, taught me to drive until my eyes felt like "sand paper". This was before CSA , and elog by a couple years.

5. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Well, the poor gal hasn't been back since her original post 'Ya gotta figure she either heard what she already knew or, she's learning for the first time that her hubby is a mooch and she'll never be able to look at him the same...ever. Therefore, she's now scared to death.

Of course, all of this assumes he's been sitting on his arse all these years.

6. krissie

krissie Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words. I guess I should have anticipated the response I'd get from a lot of the guys in this site, I just didn't think it through. Not that I don't appreciate everyone here, I really do. This site has been a virtual goldmine of information over the years and I have all of you who post all these tons of useful information to thank for even giving me the courage to start on this incredible journey. I love my life and I love my husband. I do wish he'd learn to drive, but it doesn't bother me much that he doesn't want to. (Well, sure, once in a while it bugs me, but generally, I've accepted it.) There's plenty I didn't say, in my original post. Like how, when we met, I was a single mom of two special needs kids. My 6 year old was deaf and my 8 year old was autistic. He fell in love with my kids as much as with me. He worked overtime as a forklift operator down at the harbor. He sacrificed like any good parent does, with never a complaint. He learned sign language so he could talk to our daughter. He Skypes with her and our grandson every day while I drive. He calls our son to check up on him every single day. My kids call him dad and he loves them like they were his own. And he loves me. Lol, it would be really #### impossible to live 3 feet from someone 24/7, if we didn't get along super well.
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful and compassionate response. I very much appreciate it.

kemosabi49, moloko, MBAngel and 2 others Thank this.
  7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Maybe I should start eating some crow.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Look at it this way @krissie.

My girlfriend and I are both drivers. We even work for the same company. And I still haven't seen or held her in over a month.

Why?

Cause we are both solo driver flatbedding steel haulers. She work just as hard as I do, and would probably put half the guys on this forum to shame. But it does get hard sometimes, considering 90% of our relationship takes place on the phone.

We considered teaming, but there just isn't enough team freight in flatbed, and even less in steel haul. The money isn't there.

So appreciate what you have rather than wishing what you don't have. A solid, loving, stable relationship is worth more than all the money in the world.

MBAngel and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Ah now we get the rest of the story, curious as to why he doesn't stay home with the kids then, but that's not important really. If he doesn't want to drive you aren't going to make him do it and it would probably be unsafe to try to.

MBAngel and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Well I feel like the back end of a Donkey.

Yet I wonder how he stays sane after 7 years of riding passenger only?
    Is his name Rip Van Winkle?
    Does he find fulfillment twiddling his thumbs, and counting cars, or playing I Spy???

A forklift is a mini big rig, and more top heavy when extending the boom loaded.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.