How can I get out of contract?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mauidave22, Jun 21, 2011.

1. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    One more point. I've made too many job changes with about 12 in the past 16 years. When I was hiring I would throw the application in the trash when the perspective employee left, if they had more than 4 jobs in the past 3 years. That puts me right at what I considered acceptable from the other side of the desk.

It costs a lot to train and get things done the way an employer wants them. They don't want someone who leaves when the road gets bumpy or the grass looks greener.

Personally I have learned from my changes some facts that I will share. Of the times I thought the job would be better, only 10% - 15% of the time it was. And of that small percentage of time it was, between 70% and 85% of the time it ended in the same or similar circumstances later. If you look at those best numbers multiplying .15 times .30 you find out that 5% of the time it worked out for me.

I don't think you will find much better in trucking. Sometimes you have to make changes and do what is best for you, your family or finances. Just don't jump into something and hurt your record doing it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackadder47

Blackadder47 Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Eugene, Or

What he said. Seriously, suck it up and stick it out. ;)

4. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    I was a trainer at CRST. Something they did while I was there, was you could make payment arangement. Sign a agreement to allow them to direct your new company to take x$$ from your check. not sure they still do this.

5. Big Rigg

Big Rigg Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Corona, CA
    The only way you are going to get out of the contract is to pay them the money that they put into you. If you do that they will let you go it is only fair they spent time and money to train you so they should be able to get there money back. This will be true with any company that trains you for "free". If you can afford to pay them back the money before you do that make sure you have something in writing from the other company that says you will definetly be working for them. Otherwise you may get screwed again and then have no job at all. Read your contract it should tell you how to get out of it and if you don't understand something then find someone who does.

6. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    Make sure they find you naked and eating dog feces in a out of the way corner of the the office Monday morning. Or grab the bosses secretaries ### a few times.

Another Canadian driver and MrIT Thank this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If I read your post correctly, you stated that you are 8 months into an 8 month contract? If that is the case then the contract is almost fulfilled. If not, they I would stick it out until the contract ends. Most carriers will do their best to get drivers home when requested. However, this industry is somewhat unpredictable and we cannot always adhere to a specific schedule. If there is no freight that will get us home we may need to go somewhere else in order to get a load to the house.

In this business you may miss a ballgame, school play or other events due to being on the road. It is the nature of the business. Carriers cannot afford to deadhead drivers so that they can get home by a certain date. Some are better than others, but there are no guarantee's.

You signed a contract. From your post, CRST has fulfilled their part of the contract. You now want to breach your part of the agreement. Most of these contract end in a year or less. If you have endured for 8 months, surely you can last 4 more months. Just because another carrier offers more money doesn't relieve you of your responsibility. You did sign a contract. If you complete your agreement then you can either stay or go to another carrier at the end of your contract period and do it with a clean slate.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Any outs would be in the contract. Contracts are suppose to protect both parties.But knowing CRST I bet it's all about them. Yeah stick it out. 8 months isn't anything.

You could always burn the terminal down or give their computer server a virus, lol.

9. joplinlocal

joplinlocal Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Joplin, MO
    You got to look at it in the long term. CRST agreed to pay for your training and certification to get you into a life long "professional career" as long as you work for them a given amount of time. Most all career jobs require formal training with significant cash outlay. Paying a few thousand $$ or a carrier agreeing to pay for training in exchange for 8-12 months of employment are pretty cheap "dues" to get into a life long career that will always be in demand. CRST may not be for you... but they did get you into the industry.

There are tons of folks out there with $100k student loan debts not making anywhere near the wage of an average OTR driver. To some extent you need to consider yourself "lucky".

You need to fulfill your end of the contract with CRST one way or another before you switch. You at least owe them that.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Fast? CRST? Like a 8 month root canal....:biggrin_2559:

11. 10 speed

10 speed Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Alabama
    Eight months is nothing, stick it out. You will read the same #### here about Schneider and you can go check if you doubt me. Over the next few months talk to Schneider drivers to make sure you're not making another mistake. As another poster stated, the companies can't guarentee you home time, they can only try. If they're making a mistake on your pay and you're bringing it to their attention and they're making it right, all is good. Hang in there a year and you can go where you want. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.