How Can I Legally Have A Firearm In My OTR Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Crev9, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nckid

nckid Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    williamsburg,va
    my wife who was a cop(in va) would carry her weapon anywhere in the south concealed but we have a son in upstate ny and she flat-out said she could go to jail if caught with it loaded in ny so i always carried the rounds and she carried the gun-typical liberal states that impose their ideals and laws on law abiding citizens.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Not always "liberal states".

4. 3 steps

3 steps Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cops are the kings men and can carry in all 50 states.

They are much better than us lowly serfs who have to ask permission and pay the fee of course.

5. nckid

nckid Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    williamsburg,va
    It was never tested but her superiors said don't get stopped with your service weapon loaded in any state north of va because we can't help you if you do.

6. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    in short, there is no regulation in the FMSCA manual that says jack crap about carrying firearms in a commercial vehicle. hell, how do you think they get delivered to the gun dealers like walmart and academy sports?

the only regulation of a firearm in a commercial vehicle goes directly back to company policy. and the reason being, most OTR drivers travel the northeast alot and california. those places are off limits for firearms. it is easier to make a rule to ban them rather than deal with the logistical nightmare of having to route x amount of drivers around different port of entries due to no firearm rules there. and if you do not believe me, go to any post office hub or anything related to the dept of homeland security. while i have never been searched, you can bet that someone down the line has. they (anyone) would play hell to get inside my tractor to search the contents. i just kept my mouth shut, weapon in the sleeper under the pillow and went about my business and left.

my tennessee permit is valid in 36 states i believe, and as long as i ran the south and midwest, i was ok. nothing to worry about. the company i drove for did not mind drivers being legally armed. the only headache i had to deal with was Illinois. thank god the only travel i did there was from I24 to I57 to St Louis, so i was not there too long. i minded my beeswax, did not violate a single traffic law or speed limit and was on my way.

not sure what states honor your permit? check http://www.handgunlaw.us

i am not advising anyone to do anything, follow the company rules and handgun laws in what ever state you reside. rememeber, in tennessee, GA, Etc with a GA permit, you are legal eagle. get caught with that firearm in NJ MA DE CT RI ME MD DC or NYC, (pretty much anywhere in the northeast) you are a common criminal and will end up in JAIL. period.

the amount of people who actually have gun permits/concealed carry licenses vs the amount of people who know where they can and can not go while armed never ceases to amaze me.

and to make things worse, then you have the internet know-it-alls who spread propoganda and false information therefore maximizing confusion. you want to carry a firearm in your truck? ask the safety department of your company about doing so and see how fast your carcass is out the door.

i would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but that is my outlook. again i am not telling anyone to break a law or a policy. remember that.

CondoCruiser and RockinChair Thank this.
  7. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    as long as your wife still carries her credential of being a former LEO, there should never be an issue with her carrying her weapon anywhere. that is, as long as she left the force in good standing. im not implying anything, just saying. if you all remember, president bush signed the LEO carry law many years back that granted them the right to carry pretty much anywhere as if they were still a member today, as long as they had the correct credentials.

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons'the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer" -- to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.

The LEOSA was considered during the 108th Congress as H.R. 218. Once signed by President Bush, it enacted Public Law 108-277, which put into effect 18 USC 926B.

read the entire article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Where I highlighted in red, I would like to see where that is found on a federal government website.

9. Scorcher21

Scorcher21 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Crossville Tn
    Ok my two cents that you didnt ask for or need.

If you feel like you need the protection to defend yourself in the VERY OFF CHANCE you might actually need it, do as most responsible, and might I mention quiet, people and just do it. Do it responsibly. you dont need to drive around like John Wayne with it strapped to your hip. Keep it double locked. trigger guarded in a lock box. keep the ammo in a side box. IF you absolutely have to spend the night in a shady area. Lock your truck close the curtains and arm yourself. When you roll out re lock everything. If you ever have to use that firearm prepare to face consequences. But Id rather face consequences than have my family pay for a funeral because of some strung out crackhead. You don't hear about most drivers carrying because we do it smartly and in real life NOTHING usually happens.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    aiwiron Thanks this.
  10. Down71

Down71 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I was hoping to find useful information but only found useless opinions.
    I have read and know (What I think to be true) so I will do as I please but this thread is completely worthless.
    There are too many opinions at the start to get anyone interested. A sticky like this needs to be backed with fact from the start.

leerey56 and Mr.X Thank this.
  11. keepntruckin

keepntruckin Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Lexington,NC
    I carry a 44mag with me,, I'm licensed and have my FFL's, never had a problem except in Mass. where they hassled me and made me unload it until I left the state.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.