How cheap can you eat healthy on the road (trk w/ rm 4 fridge/microwave) vs (trk w/o)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joe4167, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Shotsjc

Shotsjc Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    I read an article where they are changing coupon policies because of that show. Grocery store Nazis! lol I knew that would happen too. I said it to my wife when that coupos show came out that it wont take long before they stop that. Bastardz! lol. But normal couponing will save you money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shotsjc

Shotsjc Medium Load Member

May 4, 2011
    Albany, N.Y.
    I would totally be thrilled to know how you survive on $5 a day.

Please let me know!:biggrin_1square5:[/QUOTE]
    I plan on doing an omelette for breakfast on my electric skillet- 4 eggs, 2 slices of cheese and some salsa, and a banana with coffee, A peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and a banana for lunch with coffee, and for dinner, microwavable meals and a small salad, or salad with chicken or tuna. Almonds or a protein shake for a snack, and a couple of times a week, some peanut m&m's!

I ate this everyday while in cdl training except for once a week I would go out for a meal. This, and a case of walmart diet cola and a case of water set me back about 40 bucks a week.

Read more: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-cheap-can-you-eat-healthy.html#ixzz1Xn1gE8kA

Look at my post above. That is about 5 bucks a day as well. I weigh 240lbs and trust me, I am not going hungry!:biggrin_25512:

4. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Buy one footlong subway sandwich, cut it into thirds, and eat one portion 3 times per day.

You will lose weight this way, too.

5. RDR

RDR Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Walmart sells a Coleman cooler . It fits in even the smallest of sleepers and keeps even milk fresh. You can also find them at Cabelas,etc. This one plugs into a 12 volt. The only major downside is it doesn't stay very cool if the inside temp of truck is extremely high.
    I have found that the best bet is to buy a small fridge, yank out a cabinet and slide it into that space. Then add a microwave or George Foreman grill to your truck.
    Now you can stock up on healthy meals fairly cheaply at Walmart or ??

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A lot depends on your metabolism, age, current BMI, do you want to maintain, lose, gain weight? I rarely eat sit-down restaurant food. I wanted to eat "healthy" and ate what probably amounted to 1800 calories/day. I was ok with that but I still maintained the fat in my waistline. Come to find out I was essentially operating in starvation mode and I would burn muscle before fat.

Ended up adding a 6 inch subway sandwich and an energy drink daily to my diet, and all was well within about 2 months. For me the energy drink seemed to help boost my metabolism.

All depends on what you like and what you don't like as to what options you have. I personally would never have a microwave in my truck and the closest thing to a "hot meal" I'd have in my truck was a toasted subway bmt sandwich. I just don't like dealing with food odors.

But, if you do nothing else to treat yourself ... at least once a week eat out at a nice steak house or seafood place or whatever presents itself on a Friday or Saturday night. Perhaps if in a restart, have a beer or a glass of wine. Don't become a prisoner of your truck, docks, and whatever the pilot/loves has to offer. If you did your job well, you (or someone) owes it to yourself.

motocross25 and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  7. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    I use a backpacking stove 1 quart pot and cook just about anything I want. Tons of stuff just needs hot water. look around on the backpacking forums for ideas. My whole kitchen fits in a coffee can.

reptij Thanks this.
  8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I am OTR and live in the truck. Average $ 350.00 a month in food and that includes bags of ice. (Sometimes I use my Advantage card credits to buy the ice at Pilots and Flying J's). I don't buy anything at truck stops, except milk and bananas (sometimes). Do my groceries at WalMart once or twice a week cause space in my cooler is limited and don't like throwing food away. All coolers I bought went bad after a while so I buy ice almost everyday. Use portable stove and a propane gas burner. A slow cooker can be plugged to cigarett lighter for cooking beans and soups while driving.
    I am vegetarian, cook brown rice and vegetables everyday, then mix that with can beans. Everyday I prepare cheese sandwiches with spinach, tomatoe, etc and raw salads to eat while I drive + fruits and nuts.
    I lost 20 lbs after started trucking and couldn't gain anything back. Which was not my intention cause I was already skinny and now I weigh only 98 lbs (I am a female).... but I have plenty of energy and feel healthy.
    Oh yes, and I drink protein shakes with milk, love milk....:yes2557:

Everett, 10plus8 and wheelwatcher Thank this.
  9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    A few more things, I don't fry anything. All my cooking is light, very little or no oil. That will not make much mess in the truck and is much easier to clean with just water and paper towel. I open windows when I cook and do the cleaning right after so there's not much dirt and smell inside. And I use air spray if needed. "My" truck is always clean and smells good too (I guess I am a little obcessed with cleanliness).... So clean I can eat off the floor, no kidding, I have done it... :yes2557:

And one more thing, I don't drink sodas, don't eat crackers or candie bars, or chips, or any junk full of white sugar or "stuff" that I don't even know what it is. That is not healthy, not nutrional and it only puts "garbage" in the body.

I leave off fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, roots, bread, milk, water, nuts, cheese, and protein shake with no white sugar. That is not very expensive compared to all junk and processed food, and microwavable + meat, etc....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    catahoula Thanks this.
  10. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    What i did was also wacth what i was hauling, since i did mostly reefer, then dry no reffer in same box, i would get all normel load's too, for example , i got load of tide , all kinds, i unloaded and i was walking back too the truck , i noticed a busted pallet, i figure asking couldnt hurt, they were the small bottles of tide, he said they too ship them back, i said okay , i just got too my truck when he pulls up to my truck and hands me a super size tide bottle, i said how much, no charge, its our way of saying thanks for offering too help unloaded, that was nice , so i did laundry that night, i also did this down in sw iowa at the popcorn plant, i again ask could i get a small bag full too snack on while driving, he said just wait, i said okay, so i was out in my truck, the air was making hungry, heres he comes out with a garbage bag full , here ya go, it was the tester bag , they have too pop so much for testing reasons, well thanks , i didnt want him too fill bad , but i knew a rest area with ducks and stuff and since there was no butter, just plain , i knew it wouldnt hurt em,:biggrin_25519: so just ask at the docks also wacth the drivers, when unloading they may have a busted pallet of cherrios you can buy for 10 bucks , becuse they need it off there trl too reload.:biggrin_25524:

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    You know, I still have a huge bag of cracked corn that was busted during unloading... I don't know what to do with it.... don't want to throw it away.... was going to give it to animals but haven't had any opportunity so far....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.