How cold to leave running ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cat sdp, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I use howels in my fuel and slip a wool sock over my filters then a plastic bag and zip tie them. That keeps the warm fuel from gelling when it hits the filter. Also ran my return fuel lines along my bunk heater hose and wrapped with pipe insulation. Haven't gelled up since.

Hammer166, Grubby, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    What was your idle set to? i.e. Paccar motors for instance have to be between 1200-1400 while idling long periods so the exhaust temperatures can get high enough to clear the DPF.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to add baby diapers to my shopping list.

5. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Mine are going on tomorrow. I'm seriously thinking of either getting a heated wrap or buying an updated fuel/water separator.

Anyone ever use this one?
    Wolverine Heaters - Model FH-100 -100 Watts - Fuel Filter Heater - 120 Volts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163V2DR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I3fsAb9CR5REX

6. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    I run mine up to the highest high idle speed which is about 800rpm iirc.. it still goes into clean idle mode and will kick up to 1100-1200 as needed to regen during the night. Never had an issue with it and it idles every minute it’s not on the road from the time I leave out Sunday night til I get back Friday lol. Only if a shipper or receiver requires it off does it shut off.

As far as treating I start once it’s down around +15 or so. I’m sure it’s overkill but my truck usually has southern fuel in it and the co buys loads of howes antigel in bulk. I froze up a Ryder Freightliner a few years ago on the side of the road and liked to of froze my tail off waiting on road service to show up. I said never again after that lol

Lepton1 and Grubby Thank this.
  7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    She's alive!!!!!. I think I still have water or a high content of bio-diesel, because it was gelled in the fuel lines between the filter & fuel pump. I took a heat gun and heated up the bottom of the water separator and then the fuel lines going into the pump and into the block for about 20 minutes. She fired right up, but she was very angry. She's all settled down and idling at 1100 till I leave out on Tuesday.

**i put 2 pull up diapers on the fuel water separator, that should help with the -10° tonight.

Have a great and safe new years everyone.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    HalpinUout, TallJoe and Cat sdp Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I left it running overnight. I had a set of new batteries and it did not want to start up the first time at 10 F. The winds make all the difference. I did use 2 bottles of Howes and top it off. Tonight it is going to drop -13F here,to start up a truck in this cold is almost profanity. It it less harm to just let it idle for a week even.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Just an FYI for those that have diesel bunk heaters... Some antigelling fuel additives can gum up certain bunk heaters... Not sure which combinations don't get along but know a guy that had problems with his diesel bunk heater and it ended up being that his fuel additive had gummed it up... He's actually the guy that taught me about using isopropyl alcohol as an anti gelling additive, that's what he switched to after he discovered that his heater didn't like the other additives.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I'm using diesel 911 in my fuel and my Webasto bunk heater hasn't failed. Been running about 3 days now with the temp set at 60F, just checked on it yesterday afternoon and nice and toasty inside the cab.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I filled up with diesel and Howes and parked and plugged in on the 22nd and went today to check.....started right up, let it low idle for 15 min and then bumped it up for about 30 min.....once it hit 150deg, and the oil temp came up I shut it off and went home....hopefully it won't be a problem tomorrow when I start working again....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.