How come no one mentioned how much work is involved for authority audit?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Nov 19, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Is it as overwhelming as it seems? Especially while I am on the road and having to swing by my house to provide documentation as if I am running a business bigger than Swift. I just thought I would pay some fees and fill out basic application files like everything else and be done with it. Now I have to fill out 50 forms and become a lawyer in order to drive a truck? If I had known this before signing up for an authority I would have not done it. I am not sure if I will even pass the audit I am not a lawyer who has unlimited time to sit down and fill out all of that bs. I just know how to drive a truck and do my logbook that's all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Hang in there Tiger....Its Not that bad- It was worse years ago when the FMCSA wasn't giving out authorities like Candy-

You wont get Fined- They'll Come in and sit down with you and make sure your doing things rigfht.

lol,Did you really think having Authority was easy? Your Not going to have operating Authority and just Drive a Truck.... If that was the case-Everyone would have authority.

This is a Big Step-With Responsibility...Which Entitles paperwork-Filings- maintenance reports-logs,on and on. Really Not a Big Deal- Your not gonna just sit in a drivers seat-Negotiate your $1.92 freight with Brokers and "Drive" lol,Don't work that way

86scotty, KB3MMX, whoopNride and 4 others Thank this.
  4. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Right I am OK with providing the necessary paperwork once I am in business just didn't know I had to romance an officer before getting a green light. All my life I never got anything based on someone's opinion the only way I ever got ahead in life is if there was evidence proving I was worthy based on recorded statistics of my performance. So many haters turn me down since they think I have it easy based on my good looks and positive attitude they don't realize I had to work hard for everything. Its not my fault I came out looking like a supermodel.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    LOL, seriously suck it up and don’t act like a victim. You have your interstate authority to haul freight. Your lucky compared to how things used to be. I love your profile pic but embrace the American dream and make it happen friend.

If it means taking a week off and tightening up your game then do it! If you can’t hack it go lease on and don’t come back #####ing and moaning you don’t have enough control.

Ok enough “tough love”. You got this! Remember trucking is no game. If the big boy megas had their way you wouldn’t exist. Fight on!

kenn2632, DSK333, KB3MMX and 5 others Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Got that right........Its almost like getting Authority these days is almost a God Given Right instead of a HUGE priviledge
    Everythings done electronically now- Which stops a lot of paper mistakes that trigger audits.

Years Ago- If you Made a Mistake in IFTA or Bingo (Fuel tax reportings) You Got audited

Nothings Pen and Pencil anymore-

kenn2632, KB3MMX, whoopNride and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Then again, it is sometimes easy to make a mountain out of a mole hill ;-)

8. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Yeah I think I'm just stressed out from taking on too much at once. I haven't had a day to relax in a few months I have been working hard playing catch up daily and finally hit a wall. I got tired of doing paperwork daily to think I reached the end to find out I have to do all of this bs now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  9. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Hell, some have it too easy. Book a cheap load early without any negotiation.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  10. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    I am not ready for it I may request that thing where you pause the authority. So I can reactivate it in the future with the same DOT number? I can pause it now even before the initial audit?

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What is it your so scared of exactly? Having your own authority is a lot of responsibility but if your going to do it then this audit isnt that big of a deal. It’s just to make sure your following the law and aren’t out there running willy nilly. Really, it’s a good thing. Embrace the challenge. Especially with e logs now it’s even easier.

Don’t get mind ####ed over the word audit. Remember the people decades back who worked years to get an authority. It’s a privilege whether people appreciate it in that way or not.

Call and ask what all they will be checking and make sure you have your ducks in a row. It’s essentially a state trooper coming and looking over your records. Get a nice fold out table and have everything lined up and presentable. Have your truck washed and get a truck/trailer inspection ahead of time just for good measure.

Sleep on it and take time to prepare so you are confident. If your still uneasy then maybe you really aren’t ready.

Good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.