How come trucks always pull to the right, but cars don't?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PermanentTourist, Oct 2, 2022.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I believe the wheel base, shocks, tire size, type and air pressure make all the difference. The rest is all brand gheyness. Like Harley guys that think their bikes are the best touring machines made because of the perceived value of the brand even though there are some amazing metric tourers that are of formidable quality.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Trailers usually dogtrack towards the shoulder. Because the right rear tires hit more curbs making right turns. Might have something to do with a lot of Tractors being pushed at an angle, causing a right pull. My drive axles are out of alignment, after 65k or so, new steers start pulling to the right. I flip them around, straight she goes, steer tires last another 65k or more. Then they go on the drive, where they run another 60-100k. This Trucks never had an alignment since new. 23 yrs. I just replaced original drag link. It had some play, along with the original steering shaft u joints. New steering box, filter, hoses. Original tie rods still tight, king pins like new. I plan on doing the front spring bushings, and rears also (again). Then new steers, and only then, finally get an alignment. All it takes is a little bit of grease. Not every 5k miles. 20k does the trick, on an OTR Truck. Maybe hit the driveline every 10k. can’t hurt. Since it’s constantly moving. That’s been my experience anyways. Bad King pins, have been neglected, plain and simple. Only takes a little bit of grease to make the difference. No need to jack them up on a Freightlliner. I’ve had that proven to me. Most front end problems are caused by the steer tires. They last a long time, and may look perfectly fine. Yet they have balance issues. Once it gets established, it only gets worse. I’ve had high mileage steer tires that can’t be balanced. They shake the same with a bunch of weight, or none at all, they just get out of whack. Yet still look good, not out of round at all.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Not to change gears but I’m a Harley guy but I don’t ride them for comfort or speed
    I’ve always said. If I was a National salesman and had to ride a bike across the country that the last bike I’d pick would be a Harley
    Love them. The culture and fit and finish but that’s where it stops

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I've owned a Softail and an Ultra. Both were Evos and I've owned an iron head Sporty. Doubt I'll ever own another.

6. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Just wait till you look in the mirror backing a tri axle in a tight turn .. front axle spins one direction, Center axle doesn’t turn and rear axle spins opposite direction of front axle.. lol

InTooDeep and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Neither my car nor my truck pull.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Buy a bigger engine maybe ?

GYPSY65, InTooDeep and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Hey she’s trying her best :oops:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.