How common is it to get lost?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jayo2009, Jun 20, 2011.

1. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Hold your foot on the brake until the brake lights come on and use them to see.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Ah, here's that thread! I've been looking for it for a week.

Injun Thanks this.
  4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Duplicate.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Yep. I do that all the time. I even broke out the 3M CP Q-Beam. I'm just not one to take those kinds of chances when I'm tired and it's pitch dark out. I visualized a car coming down the hill and t-boning my trailer. That was enough to change my mind about backing across the highway. It's a long straight stretch out in BFE. Just the sort of place some people like to "see what she's got" if you get my drift.

The road I had turned left on was fairly wide and well traveled. Told me it either went through or had somewhere safer to turn around. I was more comfortable with that gamble than risking someone else's life. I'd rather pay a tow bill and not damage anything than be responsible for someone's death.

kajidono Thanks this.
  6. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Here is a good story about getting lost. Ok two stories. LOl
    I was in great falls mt a few years back and hit the walk function on my google maps on my i ph by accident. Didnt notice it and took a turn right into downtown. NO GOOD. Had to have a bus back up so I can make a corner and get out...Not a good time.
    Another is when I missed a turn in Port. OR and ended up on a residential at 3 am on a Tuesday night. NO good. I barley. Get out. I used to be a yard hostler and am not affraid of tight places but this was TIGHT, dark and raining hard. Not a good time. But funny now. LOL

7. Trucker's Daughter

Trucker's Daughter Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Hi. My Dad drove a big rig locally for more than 20 years, so getting lost was not an issue until now. He just started driving over the road recently.

After driving for more than 10 hours a day, he has tons of paperwork (logs) to do. I know they plan to go to electronic logs soon, but he'll still have to write down driving directions.

He writes out the driving directions that are sent electronically on an Omnitrac machine, so he can read the directions while driving to the next drop off.

Is there a machine that can print the directions so he won't have to write them down? Does anyone else have to write out the directions, or are you able to read them directly from the machine while driving?

My Dad is such a hard worker, and such a good Dad. He went back to work after retirement. I just want to help make it easier for him. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    He could carry a laptop and printer with him. I just keep a pad and pen handy and hand write down directions. It is easy to read and doesn't cost much.

9. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    He's probably going to have to write them on a pad like he's been doing. Sometimes the office people in these companies think like government bureaucrats. Thinking they are accomplishing one thing, they end up accomplishing the opposite. I have a truck pc from quallcom that has a heads up display with a white backlit screen and black block type. It's very easy to read, especially at night, I don't even need my cheaters. So instead my company decides to blank the screen any time the truck moves. So I have to turn on a light, hold a notebook while driving and wear my reading glasses. Someone please explain to me how this is safer than being able to read typewritten directions off a heads up screen?

kajidono Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.