How Demanding (Physical and Skill wise) is Car Hauling ?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by SilverBulletBand, Jan 28, 2019.

1. SilverBulletBand

SilverBulletBand Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    I just graduated CDL school last week and now researching how to use it.

I'm 57 years young, Retired Military and Retired from the VA. No physical limitations other than a fear of heights. Willing to work my ### off for the right opportunity.

I do have an opportunity to get with a local Car Hauling outfit that is willing to train me as well. I just don't know anything (literally) about the business.

Educate me. I'm a sponge ! Lol !

TIA

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cola

Cola Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2019
    New Jersey
    Most company required minimum 2 years experience. My opinion is go on "Dry box" for a year to get use to the equipment before you go to something more advanced.

Ziggy319 and SilverBulletBand Thank this.
  4. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Not really to physically demanding, sometimes your walking all over a huge auction lot or rail head looking for cars. Car hauling is more mental strength than anything, figuring out the puzzle of how to fit them on.

The fear height thing may be slight problem for the cars over top the truck cab or a quick load trailer that doesn't lower all the way down like some.

5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You better get over you’re fear of heights first! It can be a great job but is physically demanding especially on an older body. I was a professional firefighter in my first career. I was young, gung ho, in excellent sharpe and my body could do nearly any task thrown at me without side effects. My current 52 year old body hates this job, but for some unknown reason I love this line of work. Probably because it is a challenge. Therefore my body deals with the aches and pains. I wouldn’t let your age stop you, but it isn’t a steering wheel holding job and there are much easier jobs where you can make just as much money if not more. I don’t want to run you off, but cause you to think.

6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    My friend @Banker summed it up well. I might add that weather presents a challenge as well. At age 53 I just went back to car hauling last week after about a year away. If you like a daily challenge you will get it here..
    All the best to you whatever direction you choose to go !

Maybe Bob could add some more.
    @BigBob410

Banker, BigBob410 and otterinthewater Thank this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Depends. Inside car hauling, piece of cake, outside, nothing but headaches. New cars might be ok, but auto transport for the masses, is a PITA. Weather, as mentioned, climbing around in slippery, or rainy weather, getting dirty, cars that aren't where they are suppose to be, or 4 rows in, and the ones that don't start, and I don't think it pays a lot. There's easier ways to drive a truck.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I hauled cars for a 2 years. They paid good. I was driving a 8 car hauler with side curtains. BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche. It took 3 hours to load the truck because we had go walk and find each car. Then a quick inspection on the car and make sure it had the manuals stuff.

I would say the hardest part of the job was the weather. It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter and rain days really sucked. Our trucks had BIG screws that had grease to move the racks. So you couldn't wear rain jacket or big snow suit. You would get inside cars dirty. We never had to worry about car damge because they were new cars. So unless you hit something, no probempr. Even if you did the trucking company was not worry very much.

They had troubles with some BMW dealer writing up car damge that was not real. Like small paint thing. So they had BWM inspect a car. Dealer wrote up car damge again. BMW said stop that or the trucking company will refuse to deliver to them.

I had Porsche write up damge to a convertible saying the vinal back with do was scratch and it was my fault. TheTdeal telling me it was likela $5,000 repair. The trucking company said don't worry about it they were not going to pay for that and the dealer always try to write that up.

Loading the truck we had to keep 3 inches between car bumpers so they would not bump when driving the truck. The truck were old and small and we had to wear uniforms. We had to lay in bed to get dreees for the day. So that got old.

I got to drive $180,000 Porsches and backing a high Mercedes Benz car on the truck in the rain was very nervous. We had to deliver 36 cars a week minimum. We covered the notheast and Midwest. That car hauling company is out of bussbusi today I think. It's work and you make money because you just keep going all the time they had cars. When the BMW boat would show up in New Jersey. If you had home time off request. They would cancel them because the cars ALWAYS come first. They had it in the contract that the trucking company had 24 hours to get the cars on the truck once BMW did their prep work at the Port of NJ.

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Sounds like PMTG ?

justcarhaulin and BigBob410 Thank this.
  10. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Were you the one that asked about flat bed in another thread? You were worried about tarping at height? Anyone that says car hauling is not physically demanding must be in their 20's!! It was alot easier back then!! My clavicle is separating from my sternum and I have 2 bulging discs and have torn a rotater doing this job. I'm 48 and may have to give it up at some point but for now I love it. Some day they'll probably have to drag me away kicking and screaming! The company that's willing to train you any idea what kind of equipment they work? I run a quick loader. The one you drive on the headrack is going to be kind of a problem for you being afraid of heights. The rest of them aren't to bad on a quick loader. If they work high rails your going to be a little higher loading the trailer than a quick loader. And don't forget a bay ticket in one of the cars cause you'll have to climb up top and get it or unload the cars on the bottom to lower the decks. Some folks say the money isn't worth the effort... I must respectfully disagree. It can be 6 figures plus benefits if you're with the right company but it is a hustle! If you have any specific questions that weren't answered by all of us feel free to ask away. Good luck in whatever you do and thanks for your service!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    nldrgn, Hammer166, Ziggy319 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.