How dependable in Volvo semi Truck

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by kacey1959, Jun 19, 2011.

1. 8080

8080 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    The volvo truck with volvo motor is a very reliable truck. I would just say that if you buy one used, change out the fan clutch assembly and all belt tensioners immediately. The fan clutch assembly will go out at 500,000 miles and 9/10 it will take out your radiator. The belt tensioners go out at around 550,000 miles. This tensioner, especially the lower one, will bounce up into the clutch fan and take out the radiator also. Aside from that, volvo motors are highly reliable. They are a little pricy to maintain, but have a lower occurence of catastrophic failure.

The_Judge Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Old news. Volvo has brought part prices down and unless you have a dealer that is taking advantage of "everybody knows Volvo parts are expensive" then you should be able to get parts at comparable prices to other motors.

And while not my choice of service locations, never had an issue with finding someone at a TA/Petro that can work on D12.

Different story in '06/'07 but we are moving on 2012 in a couple months.

It is rare that you hear of a D12 being rebuilt with less than 1.2 million miles. Can't say that for most other motors. And it's not like only a handfull on the road. From '03-'07 Volvo sold more trucks with D12 than Cummins.

4. bradi

bradi Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Kingsville, Ontario

Last August I reported that my purchase of a new 2011 Volvo (last Jan) was the worse mistake that I ever made. Towed 4 times, broke down 20 times all sensor failures.
    Well, I finally found the problem with this truck...Volvo dealer failed to find the problem and it looked like they would never find it. After many hours of internet research I stumbled across information on Freightliner having similar problems. Ground bolts on frame painted over and resulting in bad ground. I removed my ground wires on frame and sure enough a thick coat of paint over the frame ground bolt and threads. I cleaned everything up to bare metal reinstalled and coated the area with fluid film for protection. This was 7 weeks ago and I haven't had a sensor problem since.
    Kevin R is absolutely right when he mentioned that too many dealers just want to through new parts on trucks rather than simple diagnosis of repeat or system failures that are chronic in nature. $18,000 in warrentee work direct loss to Volvo manufacturing and $20,000 loss for me in down time. It's a terrible shame.

5. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Dealer warranty work is an issue everywhere. When you are not paying for parts and labor and just want to get back to work it is real easy for the shop to rack up revenue. We had this issue with John Deere on a new tractor we purchased last year. Over 20-hours with tech in the field and multiple times at the shop. They just kept "testing" solutions.

I'm not sure that I ever want a new truck and will never buy one in the first couple years of model/engine change. Companies are being pushed for emission changes at a pace that does not allow them to fully test. Everybody had EGR issues and it took almost 2-years to figure out it was related to heat and not getting enough air flow.

Sorry to hear about your issues. And glad you found the problem.

6. Auggie

Auggie Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Iowa
    So Bill,do I gather that you would buy another D-12. I'm going to look at a 630 in Champaign tomorrow. I need light weight. Tough to find C-13s, don't want a Merc. Doesn't leave a lot of options. You familiar at all with Central Illinois Trucks? I been reading this site too much. Too #### many horror stories. Trying to approach the Volvo with an open mind, hopefully not an open billfold. By the way, are you OTR with your truck?

freightliner438 Thanks this.
  7. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Very familar with them. I live in Gibson and get all my service done there. Bought an International from Normal facility (bigger location but takes for ever to get service). Also bought my flatbed from them. If they had the right truck I would buy from them again.

And yes I would buy another D12 for the right application. I would look for a late production '05 or newer.

And CIT doesn't try and stick you on Volvo parts prices. They use the same mark-up as KW parts. Some dealers kept prices the same as Volvo dropped the price to them.

8. Auggie

Auggie Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Iowa
    The one I wanted sold Friday. They have another 630 in Springfield with 450k on it that looks like basically the same truck, different color with duel exhaust. Only thing that scares me about that one is they bought it at a Taylor & Martin auction. I guess I can get most of the warranty work records through Volvo, but recent uncovered work might be tough to track down.

I deliver in Evansville, IN on weds morning so I might be able to swing through there on the way home. Got a cherry Western star with a 58" bunk in Evansville I'll look at for kicks, but its got a 515 Detroit and a 240" wheel base. Probably pretty heavy and not really hearing good fuel numbers with that engine, sharp though. Black & shiney.

9. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
  10. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hard to believe that is a 2003. Looks very clean. You can tell it was an O/O truck or small company that bought well spec's trucks.

PM me if you pass on it. We are looking for another truck and that one would be worth hopping in the plane for.

11. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

I have a 2009 D11 company purchased new with a 10 speed (5 miles)
    its been towed 2 times
    its been in the shop for injectors and coppers 2X >>>3 weeks ago most recent
    its eaten 3egr's
    1 head gasket
    1 water pump
    1 Tstat
    its grinded 2 idler pulleys
    1 altinator pully assy.
    its blown the air line to the clutch fan(melted thru)
    Blown an air line off the compressor to the dryer ( yesterday)
    Blew the PTO today(lost a load due to breakdown)(today)
    overheated at least 5X during the summer
    all under extended warrenty:biggrin_25514:
    im NOT impressed with volvo brand :biggrin_25512:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.