How did you get customers (car hauler)

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by HighValleyExpress, Jan 22, 2022.

1. HighValleyExpress

HighValleyExpress Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Hey y’all I’m wondering how you owner operators for vehicle hauling got your customers. Right now I am not making much working mainly for load board brokers, one breakdown will really hurt me if not completely put me out. So I need to adapt and find a new stream of revenue or at least change who’s handing me the cash. I was thinking I will clean myself up dress nice go into every dealership in southern cal where I’m from and hand out my flyer and talk to that dealerships logistic head and sell my services. Most will ignore me but some won’t and I figure I see rail yards always full of trucks going here and there so I know business for cars isn’t too bad, on the load board it’s horrible but if I could manage to get several dealerships to give me business I can do more than just survive. Anyway question is how did you get dealerships/rail yards/auctions to give you business as simple as a business card? Or did you do what I am which is walk into 30 dealerships on my day off. I’m even considering leasing on to a company that has contracts so I can stay busy, it’s rough out here picking up one car at a time in the SoCal traffic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We'll move this thread to the car hauler's section where it can get the attention and responses it deserves.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  4. CarhaulingKev

CarhaulingKev Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Sounds like you’re working local So Cal, is that correct? Yes, kinda tough to make good money if you’re doing single unit pickups in So Cal considering the traffic and amount of time it take to complete those pickups and deliveries.

I’ve found that longer distance routes (300-1500 miles) are usually are better for my operation. I also have local trucks running in So Cal but revenue isn’t as good.

Keep in mind that many direct shippers pay better rates than brokers but they also often pay on 30 day terms meaning you’ll have to float that money. That’s something to be prepared for when getting your own customers.

I’m sure that can be negotiated but in my experience, our direct shippers pay in 30 days.

If you want rail head work in So Cal, contact United Road, Accelerated services, Hansen Adkins, Deluxe or Professional.

These are the companies with the majority of the new car contracts. Get the proper insurance coverage and I’m sure they will sub contract some work out.

Goodluck

5. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    If you want your Business to be taken seriously & have dealers entrust valuable vehicles with you..?
    You need to be; neat, clean, & Tidy at All times....

Just an Observation...

6. HighValleyExpress

HighValleyExpress Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2021
    Thanks for reply’s I’ll contact those businesses and see what we can do. 30 day terms aren’t too bad if I can factor them. The big thing for me is staying full as much as possible, even if I make 130-150 per car as long as I can stay full most of the week my revenue will allow my company to grow. Rn I’m usually running 1-2 cars on my back when I can fit 3-4 so I’m losing half of my potential earnings due to brokers posting leftover loads or just single loads very rarely do we get 3 car loads in SoCal that can run a profit that’s worth the time. But thanks I’ll keep at it any advice or lessons learned would be a great help the more we can negotiate these prices up together the more money we will make. Quick question to those with customers how much more do you make once you cut out your brokers, I had a customer in NorCal that literally payed me double, but idk if he just didn’t know any better or if that’s the Norm thanks

7. Redbeardfifty

Redbeardfifty Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2022
    As a client im going to chime in. Im not a trucker but joined the forum because california sucks and I had to buy out of state and was trying to get the truck hauled back to me.
    Brokers are crappy and lie their ##### off.

If I were you, id join a couple of the enthusiast vehicle forums. Tons of us are buying out of state to bypass dealer adm and need the vehicles hauled back.

sometimes Its in state, sometimes it’s across country. Right now there are 4 trucks at the dealer needing to go to my area. No one to pick them up. The dealer manager said they haven’t had a hauler pick up a vehicle from them in a month and out of state sales is their main source of sales. The sell ford and ram. So lots of jeeps, hellcats mustangs broncos etc etc.

so lots of clients sick and tired of cheesy brokers and we don’t know how to find drivers directly.

8. Hockeyguy1234!

Hockeyguy1234! Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2022
    Who even are the big Brokers in carhauling? Why do they suck to work with - I find this suprising

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.